Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Does anyone know what year this Conn 11M (low A Baritone) with the serial number 131959 was made (and where)? Thanks. for your help.

·
Banned
2,967 Posts
hello there...lovely baritones these lowA conn's....
does the serial# have a letter before the numbers?
if it has the letter N or no letter at all,plus it does not say USA on the bell logo area,then i am sure it will be made in mexico....
so late 70's somewhere,if no letter...

these are still great sounding baritones,and i have found that the keys are a bit more brittle than the USA made ones,and the finishing is not as good...
cheers,philip

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
873 Posts
If it's N131959, it was built in 1980... and nobody is entirely sure where it could have been built. Conn's new owner was in the process of rebuilding the company at the time and it's unclear when production was pulled out of Mexico.

If that first "1" is actually an L (L31959), it was made in 1968 in Elkhart and would be one of the earliest 11M baritones.

·
246 Posts

·
873 Posts
As mentioned above, "L" would have been 1968. M for 1969, and on a saxophone the "N" runs from 1970 through mid-1988. The saxophone plants did not change the prefix as they did at the brasswind plant after 1970.

The Cohen article says 11M production ended in 1974. I do have a recorded example of one from 1981, so production was restarted at least that early. 1980 depending on what Bobbytra's actual serial number is. It appears in the 1986 catalog, so they were regular production and not special-ordered.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Mine has a "P" prefix (1971 I think), a "USA" and a naked lady but no LH pinky table low A. However it's been recently silver plated so I suppose things could have been added. Not sure why there is no pinky key though. Sort of bugs me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
Mine has a "P" prefix (1971 I think), a "USA" and a naked lady but no LH pinky table low A. However it's been recently silver plated so I suppose things could have been added. Not sure why there is no pinky key though. Sort of bugs me.
This is interesting. You are certain it's a "P" ?

P's were a notation used on old PanAms.

...wait a minute......:|......a Naked Lady Low A ?

Did you buy this horn on eFlay and/or from George Borodi ?

Can you post some pics ????

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
OK, well.....that serial info then...is kind of...an 'outlier' ! :dazed: ;) No 11M's ever had a P prefix serial....

That's a cool construction, from a tech point of view, that instrument.... a complete reconstruction from pieces: Pan Am body tube, 11M bell extension slapped on, replica Lady engraving.

I do hope you knew about all that before buying it, though ~ because he is infamous for ambiguously describing his resurrections and takes well-deserved flak for that; although they look very well-done. When I asked a litany of questions about those auctions, he did everything he could to evade answering them directly. Then he just stopped replying, period.

Now you know why there's no pinky trigger, though. The body and keywork is mostly low Bb horn, so it never had one. And he never bothered slapping one on...which, really, he could have.

·
Registered
581 Posts
At the time I thought it was an actual 11M. I didn't think I was buying it from the person that did the work because the description was so off. I wasn't necessarily concerned about the authenticity, but I was definitely unaware of the extent of the inauthenticity. It actually plays very well, on par with the 12M I had and the low A plays better than I was expecting for a real 11M or for any low A bari for that matter. Had I known what I know now I wouldn't have bought it, but I was very happy with it this whole time I thought it was a semi-blinged 11M. I was even posting on people's threads saying how great 11Ms are! Stupid knowledge is really starting to get at my ignorance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts