Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a bari from China.
I don't have high expectations for the mouthpieces that come with those horns.
What would be the "standard" bari piece (like meyer for alto, link for tenor) that would be a solid starting point?
I'm looking for low-mid price range easily available pieces here.
For higher end I would just get an RPC.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,294 Posts
I'm not sure there is such a piece for bari jokunen. Lawtons have always been very well regarded bari pieces, I used one for years, but there are a lot of options. I'm using a TW Durga now. Expensive, but fantastic! I can get one for you if you're interested - I'm the 'Player Rep' in Finland. PM me if you're interested (in English please!).

·
Registered
337 Posts
I would suppose the "standard" would depend on what type of playing you are doing. R&B, Classical, etc. but Otto Links are a pretty flexible choice for the baritone as well.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Durga must be great but seems to be more than half of the cost of the baritone itself :)
Yes I forgot to mention I'm gonna be playing jazz/R&B.
HR link seems like a good candidate then.
Just to put things in to context the prices here are:
HR link 135€
RPC (new from Ron) ~250€ ish including taxes.
Durga 825€

Thanks all.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I play a Rico Graftonite on Bari and really see no shortcomings with it in the amount of time I spend on the horn.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Lately I've been using a Rico Metalite M-7 and find it fits the bill nicely - all my more expensive pieces are sitting in a drawer....

·
Banned
66 Posts
Is it the TaiShan?

I'm using both the Yamaha 5C (Rovner dark lig) ("classical") and the Vandoren V16 (V16/optimum lig) (everything else) on mine, and both are working well for me. I didn't like the stock mpc, but I may not have given it much chance either. I have also tried the Metalite (Rovner dark lig) but found it to too 'blatty' for my taste.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lately I've been using a Rico Metalite M-7 and find it fits the bill nicely - all my more expensive pieces are sitting in a drawer....
Hey thanks for the info Al. I'm awaiting my Metalite M-7 in the mail any day now ;-)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a bari from China.
I don't have high expectations for the mouthpieces that come with those horns.
What would be the "standard" bari piece (like meyer for alto, link for tenor) that would be a solid starting point?
If those are the standard for you on alto and tenor, as they are for me, I would say that a HR Link would be your answer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,290 Posts
Yamaha 5C seems to be the default mouthpiece right now. Fairly cheap too. I sell them for about $28 and they work on both modern and vintage horns. I use a Selmer S-90 on my vintage baris.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I'm going for the TaiShan if I don't just magically happen to find something on the used market soon.
I'm not a big believer in "Germany mouthpiece" that seems to follow the TaiShans. Even if it was good I wouldn't know :)
The Rico pieces sound like a great idea. I'll start there. Not much to lose at least.

Meyer and HR link are not actually what I use for alto and tenor but they seem to always be recommended (for a good reason).
I was just thinking if such de-facto thing exists for bari.
Thanks again everyone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,190 Posts
I'd suggest trying a Rico Graftonite or Metalite. Can't beat the price. The Metalites aren't for everybody, but I love 'em for tenor and bari. I even have one for soprano.

·
871 Posts
Hey thanks for the info Al. I'm awaiting my Metalite M-7 in the mail any day now ;-)
I just got my M-5 and M-7 metalites from a SOTW member. I'm very impressed, leaning a bit more toward the M-7. I tried a graphtonite back when I first got my Bari and was not impressed, but it was a while ago.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
I used to use a berg HR on bari, but Ron's RPCs blow them out of the water.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,290 Posts
One thing I find with bari mouthpieces is that they can work well on one horn and not another. I would wait until you get the horn and THEN try to make a decision based on what the horn likes. I had a Mark VI bari with a Link HR that was great and a Zephyr with the old original mouthpiece that worked well. Switching them around was a disaster!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,410 Posts
HR Link should do the trick--FWIW the old 'Slant Sigs' were killer on bari but thats another story. Bergs and Lawtons are also an excellent choice.

·
6,831 Posts
Berg (SS), Drake, and H. Couf Artist. The Metalite isn't bad on modern Baries either. Used to own an M7 from 1993 thru 2008. It just sounded like doggy doo on my 1926 King, so I sold it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts