Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that the 62 is better than the 62II. Is this true? I was looking at a brand new 62II tenor but I'm just wondering.

Also, is there a difference in tone between lacquered and silver?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I used to have a 62 and now have a 62II, both with gold lacquer. I think they are both great horns. Overall I like the new one better but I may be the exception. I can't comment on the silver ones because I haven't tried one. You can find the specs for the new ones and what the changes are on the Yamaha web site and sites like http://www.wwbw.com. The only change they won't tell you about is changing from mother-of-pearl key touches to synthetic ones. The best thing to do if you can, is to try them out. It's a safe bet that's what most of the people in this forum will tell you. You can also check out http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/ for reviews. This guy repairs saxophones and gives honest reviews from the perspective of someone who fixes and plays saxophones. Good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The 62II comes with a G1 neck and Yamaha stamped on the front of the neck receiver. The Yamaha three tuning fork symbol is also stamped on the side of the bell. Older Mark I's have Yamaha Japan written in purple on the side of the bell. They both say YTS-62 on the back below the thumb rest. If your 62 doesn't match what I said distinguishes the Mark II, then you most likely have a Mark I.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
If I may add one, all the 62 were stamped "Made in Japan". Wiht regard to the 62II, some of them are too, but the most recent are stamped "Made in China". How recently the switch happened I really do not know.
I could witness this in a local store. At least I appreciate the openness of Yamaha in this subject.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
Are you sure that the " made in China " involves the 62II too?
I have only seen the 275 first stamped " Made in Indonesia" and the " Made in China" but I have never seen any of the more expensive Yamaha horns with that provenance

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
Yes, YTS62 II (but the engraving does not say II). Said Made in China. I was very surprised, actually.
However we cannot automatically infere that it is an inferior model to the previous ones as quality assurance and control of Yamaha still enjoys a great reputation.

·
38,837 Posts
I have no doubts on Yamaha quality control, I am just surprised that they are doing this also on the professional saxophones, after all they didn't close their Japanese factories

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just received a brand new silver YTS-62 II from an online dealer on Monday. It had the YTS-62 stamped near the thumb rest, and said "Made in Japan". Of course, my sax tech acknowledged that many of the parts for it were most likely made in China, but sent to Japan for assembly.

·
38,837 Posts
I think that your tech is just saying something repeating some hearsay......there is no prove of that and most countries have specific legislation to define what " Made in" and what " assembled in" means

·
Registered
109 Posts
You may be right. But if what rispoli is saying is true, and some 62IIs are stamped "Made in China", then it might be difficult to sell both the "made in China' and "made in Japan" versions for the same price. I'd like to see a photo of that (or acknowledgment by Yamaha) before further comments.

·
38,837 Posts
I have yet to see any Yamaha pro models stamped made in China..........

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
I just picked up a new 62 tenor. Made in Japan. Serial # starts with a D, by the way.

Same great horn as always.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts