Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm highly interested in this both.

Really curious about the difference. (which one is more appropriate for Jazz? not for Pop)

Need some info and opinion.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have a silver 82z tenor personally I think they are flexible enough that either could be used for
either if that makes sense, hope you don't mind I just want to share some observations about my sax

1. It is heavy, like really heavy, my stamina is not the world's best since my knee operation however
other players have commented that it is a heavy horn, my old 10m was much lighter.

2. There is an evenness of tone with this horn that some people consider a lack of character
however I don't think that is the case at all.

3. The key work and ergonomics are just wonderful

4. While you can make it bark like a dog or sing like a choir girl, it tends to towards
the growly, dirty side of things naturally I feel, but like most horns change the mouthpiece
and your style a little and it will give you what you want.

5. Lastly I had a local pro who came by to look at the horn because he wanted to buy it,
compared it to his 5 digit MK VI, in the end his opinion was that it was about 85% of what
his VI gave him, some things the VI did better and some things the 82z did better, btw
I no longer have it up for sale I really enjoy the sax.

Hope this helps, and one last tip, I bought the horn for $2000 in like new condition
from ebay, that happened because I would send offers to folks who had "make offer"
auctions, while the guy was asking $2800 he took my offer and the horn was pristine,
everything but the sax was still in plastic. Jay.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,224 Posts
You get variation between different instruments whatever the finish. If you can, go and try a few of the finish that you like.
I had a MkVI in that sounded almost identical to an lacquered 82z. My friend fetched his MkVI in which was very different. (Both had same pads and similar serial). You have to try them!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Some will say the difference is in appearance only. I personally like the look of silver and the silver 'seemed' to have slightly more core than the others i tried.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts