Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me apologize, because I'm sure you veterans on this board have discussed this a million times, but what is the darkest sounding T. mpc you can think of? I tried a few searches, but couldn't think of a good phrase to put into the engine. I am going to be getting into some blues/solo stuff, and I really want something that has a haunting sound. It dosen't really need great projection, but just a really mellow sound. Almost airy, if you catch my drift. And of course, what lig and reed would be the absolute best? I have done mostly legit stuff all my carrer on sax, and have only recently got into jazz, where I have found a new home :) . Anyway, the price limit is around 150 USD, and I have no descrimination on any brand of mpc, so let the suggestions fly! Thanks, fellas,

Bariman

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have been playing a Runyon SR 9 with La Voz hards. It produces that dark, airy blues sound I think you're describing. They are cheap so it won't hurt your wallet, plus the amber and blue both look really bluesy.

·
Musician and Composer
513 Posts
you may want to stay with your legit roots, and move to a wider opening, something like an S-80 in an E or F opening should give you good flexibility and core to your tone, but without being too bright or edgy. Any mouthpiece with a large chamber and no baffle will get you close to what you are looking for. (try the s-90 as well. I've never tried them on tenor, but they're great on alto!)

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
You might want to try a Morgan L series piece (probably a 7 is a good place to start) or an Otto Link hard rubber. If you want the best of the Otto Link's then you should check out Doc Tenney's perfected pieces which are available through www.saxquest.com.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
A Hard Rubber Link is pretty dark. The modern ones can tend to be stuffy though, at least from what I've played in the past. But a good one in HR is not as hard to find as in metal, for whatever reason.

The Vintage Brilharts are actually fairly mellow sounding mouthpieces, especially the HR models. But good vintage examples (especially something along the lines of a great neck, NY) are hard to find for $150 or so. Try ebay. Oh yeah, and most have fairly small tip openings, which may or may not be a big deal.

Jody Espina is producing a line of HR mouthpieces that sounds like it might be worth a look. His website is JodyJazz.com. They are not out yet as far as I know, so ask him for information. His mpcs are of high quality and finish, and he has a good trial policy. As for pricing, I believe the tenor model is in your price range, but contact him to be sure.

For me, the best "dark" mpc is and still will always be a BD Hollywood Dukoff. They are not as common as links, though Saxquest seems to get quite a few each year. They are WAY out of your price range (I've seen them go for about $400+, and I paid $400 for mine) but you can't have a discussion about good dark mouthpieces without talking about these little mpc treasures :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use a HR link 6* on my bari, and I get a pretty close result. I tried Saxquest, but when I clicked on the link to the otto link 7 Hurling mentioned, it said there was an error and couldn't give me any info. I'll check back later and see if it's gotten any better.

Bariman

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
well, if you're gonna include "classical" mouthpieces, the Caravans and Johnston-Selmers are also VERY dark.

I like the Vandoren Diamonds. They are dark, but have edge on top to help with projection.

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
I must put another vote for the Runyon SR. I had one I remember trading because it was too dark for my taste. I think it was a 12 or 14 tip size.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
you want something with no edge, or something with no brightness?

I ask because sometimes people use the two terms indescriminately.

Edge is desireable because it helps in projection. Brightness means just a preponderance of high overtones, which may create an illusion of volume.

If you mean something with no brightness, then practically ANY low baffle, large chamber piece will do. It really does depend on you as a player. I mean...how dark do you want it? :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Would some Rico Jazz Select reeds of about 2 Mediums work ok, or do I need something even softer? This would be for the next to largest tip opening, a 190 I think. I just want something really easy-blowing...

Bariman

·
Registered
127 Posts
In The Dark!

The Darkest Mouthpiece is one that is played in the Dark!
Nah really..I know that my Paris E facing S80 is really dark for my preference..but if you wanna count Rovner Dark Ligature, then that makes it even darker! Bad Choice for me! I'm ready for a Jumbo Java!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.