Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
of the New Wonder Series II/"Chu"/Transitional era? There haven't been a ton of them selling recently on the SOTW marketplace recently and I find it difficult to gauge value from ebay...

basically what would you expect to pay for a Chu/Tranny tenor in playing (or overhauled, whichever you can best guesstimate) condition given today's market?

Edit: I'm talking about a normal lacquered sax or a relacquer, not any of the special/rare finishes

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
It depends on which one you have. What is the serial number and what engraving does it have? Also, if it is a tranny, what are the features?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,998 Posts
If it has the Naked Lady engraving, current market value is about $950-1100usd. If not, around $750-850.

This assuming it needs no work to make it playable and doesn't have any significant body damage.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I just recently bought a pair from the 20's - one new wonder, one Chu. Both with full overhauls (new pads etc.). The new wonder was $1,000 - the Chu was closer to $1,400. Both were in good condition. No bargain but they both play as well (but different) as today's $3,000-,$5,000 pro saxes. They also have that retro vibe you can only find in a true classic which is nice :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,998 Posts
Yes, these things vary. The Naked Lady Trannies (jeez...ain't no way to make those 3 words sound good together) are the ones which fetch the highest price.

Also, old americans fetch more $$ in EU than in N. Am. Around here, a New Wonder I can be had in good shape for around $5-600.....

Arguably one can spend $1000 on a non-Lady Tranny (jeez...I gotta stop) and still have it be an OK deal. But quite honestly, when you start tipping $1100 you are now in 10M-range.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, these things vary. The Naked Lady Trannies (jeez...ain't no way to make those 3 words sound good together) are the ones which fetch the highest price.

Also, old americans fetch more $$ in EU than in N. Am. Around here, a New Wonder I can be had in good shape for around $5-600.....

Arguably one can spend $1000 on a non-Lady Tranny (jeez...I gotta stop) and still have it be an OK deal. But quite honestly, when you start tipping $1100 you are now in 10M-range.
Haha yeah I love that about Conns - the names are just so great.

That's useful information though, thanks. I assume one would expect to pay extra on top of that if it came with a new case for example, or if it had just been fully overhauled like Fader's.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
Depending on condition - very few vintage tenors are mint or museum-quality - a Tranny Chu could fetch some handsome prices. The gold-plated ones are particularly prized. After 1929 there was next to no demand for gold horns, and those that were made used less gold and a different plating chemistry that caused many to wear badly and even pit the brass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts