Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm sure there is already a topic for this, but I sure can't find it very easily.

I was wondering what does the 5*, 5, 6, 6*, etc means on an mpc. I know that they are references for the openings or for the types of reeds (medium, soft, hard), but what exactly do they mean?

Also, what is the best one (5, 5*, 6, 6*, etc) for medium reeds (2,5 to 3,5?)

Thanks for all the help you can give me! http://forum.saxontheweb.net/images/icons/icon10.png

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
It is the tip opening and varies from model to model. A Link 5* may be a 7* in another brand. Not like buying shoes.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,304 Posts
Hi, I'm sure there is already a topic for this, but I sure can't find it very easily.

I was wondering what does the 5*, 5, 6, 6*, etc means on an mpc. I know that they are references for the openings or for the types of reeds (medium, soft, hard)?
No they are just references for the openings.

Which strength reed you use with which tip is a matter of personal preference IMO.

For some people though, if they are used to a hard reed on a small tip, may want to change to a softer reed on a wider tip but that is only a very very rough generalisation.

My advice would be to try them out and see what works for you. Without knowing what you have been playing before, it would be difficult to make any recommendations for a starting point. And as bruce points out, a 5* on one make is not necessarily a 5* on another. There is no standardisation, however most people seem to use these in reference to Otto Link sizes.

On baritone I use a 3 reed on Otto Link 7, but I would probably still use a 3 on a (Link) 5

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm currently using a 3 reed on a mpc that is a standard one (no name) that came with the sax (J. Michael BAR-2500).

And I wanted to know what would be the best opening on an Otto Link Hard Rubber, for this reeds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,259 Posts
There is no "best". Everyone's mouth is different. When your lip muscles get stronger, you can use a bigger opening (if you want). Most bari players start out on a 4 or 5.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,202 Posts
There are charts that compare the different tip openings between brands. Not endorsing them but you can look at the Jody Jazz web site, they used to have a pretty good chart comparing the tip openings between makers and a general idea of where to begin depending on your experience. Good luck.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
click as already given the link in this thread, and thus my probable choice but thanks anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts