Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as to what mouthpieces you prefer with Yanagisawa tenors. After I got the T992, I realized that the Vandoren V16 T55, which was excellent on my old Selmer mk7, was not that favorable on the Yani. On the other hand, the Link STM, which I didn't like so much on the Selmer, seems to make the T992 play really well. Is there any logic to this? Do you have similar experiences?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
I find that my T992 is pretty mouthpiece friendly...in the 1.5 year since I got it, I have tried (when I try a mouthpiece I live with it for several weeks, so this is not just the ones I screwed on) a Berg /2, a Yani metal, a Ponzol ML, several of my Links (FL, NY, and STM), and a Barone Hollywood. I have settled on the Hollywood as the right one for this horn. Big chambers seemed best, but little ones work...just wasn't that easy to get my sound. Mostly tried with RJS2H

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
I agree. I've yet to try a mouthpiece that didn't work on my T901. It's a matter of which piece you prefer (I use Link Tone Edge and STM).

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I agree with the STM working well with this horn. Shmuelyosef, how was the Yani metal on the T992. I use one on my SC992 soprano in it is very nice.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I am betting that a Zagar SBB would be really good too. It works very well on my Yani/Martin and VI. It provides tremendous body to the sound of smaller bore horns (which the VI and 992 are - as are most modern horns). The Zagar bronze turned my Yani 8833 alto into a monster horn. I never cared much for the tone of the 8833. It is a great horn but had a tendency to sound a little thin. The Zagar makes it my alto of choice.

These pieces provide body to the sound without introducing tubbiness, and provide loads of flexibility and speed. If you are playing a higher baffled piece, they will probably sound awkward and feel strange at first, though.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I agree with shmuelyosef on the HR Berg /2 recommendation. I have a T880 that plays OK with link type pieces but I just tried my friends HR Berg 105/2sms and it really opened up the sound. Very clear and full and very free blowing. All notes are easily attained from top to bottom.

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
My 2 cents

All the mouthpieces mentioned are good ones. I prefer a D-7 dukoff given the royal treatment by Ed Zentera if you are looking for bright and any of the forementioned pieces for a more warm traditional tone. Yani's are mouthpiece friendly, so its just finding your sound by trying as many pieces as you can get your hands on. I wish you all the best and thanks for your post on my for sale item. Right now, I wish I had your vespa. Bill

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
William Bua said:
... I prefer a D-7 dukoff given the royal treatment by Ed Zentera ...
I play the old lead-containing (probably dangerous?) Dukoff's on the Mk6 Soprano (D8) and YAS62 alto (D9). They are really great pieces, I love the sound they produce on those instruments. I should probably try one on the tenor as well. Are the new ones (silver) as good as the good, old lead-pieces?

William Bua said:
Right now, I wish I had your vespa. Bill
With the Vespa it costs me about 3 kroner (1/2 dollar) to get to and from work as opposed to 46 kroner (about 8 dollars) with bus, and it takes less than half the time. Now calculate how long for you need to drive the Vespa to save money for a new Yani curvie... :)

Cheers & all the best

Bjørn

·
Registered
293 Posts
I like a modern NY Link 9 on my T992.

Bjornblomberg-- I too played a MK7 tenor (for years, still have it). The RPC .150 that I loved on the MK7 did not work well on the Yani.

Now am starting to dig the NY Link on the MK7 as well as the T992

·
Registered
250 Posts
I use an Ed Zentera Link 7* Millennium with a Francois Louis ligature and it is just terrific, I just got it back from Ed a few weeks ago, did an oldies show tour last week using my T991 and it just amazed me how much better it was on my Yani even compared to my Lawton 8*B which I had previously thought was terrific, the link now projects just as much with the same bite but has a huge bottom also and takes whatever I can give it. Nothing but raves from the fans and the groups.
Brian

·
Registered
201 Posts
pth said:
I am betting that a Zagar SBB would be really good too. It works very well on my Yani/Martin and VI. It provides tremendous body to the sound of smaller bore horns (which the VI and 992 are - as are most modern horns). The Zagar bronze turned my Yani 8833 alto into a monster horn. I never cared much for the tone of the 8833. It is a great horn but had a tendency to sound a little thin. The Zagar makes it my alto of choice.

These pieces provide body to the sound without introducing tubbiness, and provide loads of flexibility and speed. If you are playing a higher baffled piece, they will probably sound awkward and feel strange at first, though.
Totally agree!! Supercharges the IV...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
bjornblomberg said:
Shmuelyosef, how was the Yani metal on the T992?
I really like the yani metal pieces on soprano and bari, but the tenor one did not do it for me. I found it not so versatile, and really didn't 'show off' the wide timbre range available on the T992.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
All is well with this thread, except that it is in the sale section.

I don't mean to be anal, but would Mike or another administrator move it to the sax vs. sax section please?

Thank you.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yellowhorn said:
All is well with this thread, except that it is in the sale section...
Sorry, it was my intention to put it in the Yanagisawa section, but I must have clicked the wrong button.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Actually it belongs in the General Mouthpiece Discussion Forum, and that is where I have moved it.

Cheers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts