Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm learning the song Witchcraft and I notice 2 chords in the song that I am not familiar with B-+5 and A-+5. I know they are not the half diminished because there are other half diminished chords in the song. Thanks friends in advance.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The minus means minor, and the +5 means raised 5th. For example the first chord would be A C F. But I have never in my life seen such a chord. My guess is it’s a very unusual way of writing F/A which is an F major chord with A in the bass. Similarly the other chord is actually G/B.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mdavej. I haven't seen it too. Just for info its in Aerbersold Vol 44 Bb page 20 Witchcraft.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Maybe Aerbesold thought it would be easier for the student to understand the chromatic motion of that one chord tone | A- | A-+5 | A-6 | A-+5 | as | Play A- | Raise the 5th 1/2 step | Raise it again to play the 6th | Lower it back down 1/2 step |. So it does clearly spell out the motion of the 5th as all the other notes are held constant.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,008 Posts
Maybe Aerbesold thought it would be easier for the student to understand the chromatic motion of that one chord tone | A- | A-+5 | A-6 | A-+5 | as | Play A- | Raise the 5th 1/2 step | Raise it again to play the 6th | Lower it back down 1/2 step |. So it does clearly spell out the motion of the 5th as all the other notes are held constant.
I see what you're saying, but even if this is the case, that's the craziest chord symbol I've ever seen. As mdavj says, IF it means A C F, that is simply an F maj triad (in 1st inversion). And if Aebersold is somehow indicating with that chord symbol to "raise the 5th a half step, then raise it again to play the 6th," that's even crazier.

There must be something more to this...?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Yeah, Jamey doesn't even put such a thing in his scale syllabus. However, I checked a couple of my fake books, and sure enough, my old Bb real book has Amin+5. But my new real book and old C real book has F/A.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked Hal Leonard vol 81 Frank Sinatra Classics and it is also annotated as Bmin(#5) and Amin(#5).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts