Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,681 Posts
I found a reso chamber that has been refaced to 105 tip opening. I have not been able to stop thinking about it. I didn't have the money for it and am currently trying to raise it. I tested a whole bunch of vintage pieces on my Ref 36. Two that stuck out were a Meyer Bros Tenor 80 tip size and Reso Chamber 105. They both were magical and made my tone buttery and vibrant in a way I've never felt before. I used a Rico Jazz Select 3S on both. The Meyer was super buttery and effortless to play. It just made you happy it sounded so cool. The Reso was also buttery but not quite as easy to play (Though definitely not hard to play). The Reso was different than anything I've ever played. So rich and lush I was overcome with satisfaction several times when playing it. (I read someone wrote they sound hoarse, like a Slant Sig with a sore throat- and I would agree with that (In a good way though!) That is an extremely rare event for me. The thing is I've shared the recording I made of it while trying it with other people and no one really loves it. In fact a couple of non musicians preferred the sound of my stock otto link new vintage 5* hard rubber piece- because it has a more clear sound so to speak. I can say though, that while a very nice piece, my new vintage link (which I got from another forum member here for $100, has never given me the chills like the Reso Chamber.

There are other mouthpeices that would be better for bebop tenor saxophone (Bird is my main and first inspiration) For example the hard rubber "JazzMaster".Has anyone tried these? Wheew talk a speed demon's dream! But on tenor I feel the essence of what I want to get it is in this video.
Not the sound per say, but he essence of what Stan is communicating. I think the Reso I tried gives me the best shot at it. I think I'll keep the playing fast thing to the alto.

So my next thing to deal with is trying to cobble together the money for it. It was refaced to a 105 by one of the very best. Is $1,200 too much for a mouthpiece?

· Registered
1,681 Posts
Appreciate the feedback. Sigmund I have purchased an expensive mouthpiece before and definitely fell victim to the placebo effect as you mention. I told myself "Oh I will get used to it". Well I never did and sold it months later for a small loss. This time however I really did get chills from the mouthpiece. It's such an odd position because I know that feeling it gave me was the reason I pick up the sax. Can you give me an idea of what a Reso Chamber in perfect condition refaced by one of the best is worth?

· Registered
1,681 Posts
$1200 IMO is too much for any mouthpiece- at least it would be for me. I can see it if you are a professional artist-level player in terms of wanting a very particular set of characteristics in a mouthpiece or if you're so wealthy that the price is virtually of no concern. Otherwise there's almost always another option that will get 90+% of the way there at 1/2 the price or less.
Thanks for the input KeithL. It's actually what my teacher/mentor told me. He said I should not spend more than $400. It's just an odd position to be in because I can't stop thinking about how the Reso sounded and more importantly, how it made me feel. I never experienced that before. I got some of the same "chill's" type of feeling from the Meyer Bros tenor piece that was refaced by the same guy just not as big of a sound. So I'm thinking maybe the refacing work had something to do with it. I may go with the Meyer because it is $500. The sound is not as fat but still buttery and light chills.

Regarding the price, to be fair to the refacer, he is one of the best in the word and has a long list of famous clientele who he caters to and sells to at these prices and higher. Plus I like him and believe in his work. Now weather I'm good enough to make the piece play its best is another story. I just know the sound it made me really happy.

· Registered
1,681 Posts
To me, Resos are less of a Tone Master Link but more of a Dukof Short Shank- Stubby. They have a higher floor than the Tone Master and more projection, very comparable to Dukoff Stubby while having a very large chamber. For a lot of people that is a winning combination of how a tenor saxophone should sound.
Sakshama did the dukof short shank stuffy come in hard rubber? I would be interested in trying one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.