Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member
8,928 Posts
I’ve never played a Reso Chamber piece but I’ve owned and played some pieces that are reported to be good copies or clones or whatever you like to call them.
The Aaron Drake Reso piece is the one I have kept.
If the original pieces are as nice to play, I can understand the hype.
I won’t be spending the asking price to find out for certain though.
As much as I like that type of piece, I can understand why others wouldn’t.

· Distinguished SOTW Member
8,928 Posts
I found a reso chamber that has been refaced to 105 tip opening. I have not been able to stop thinking about it. I didn't have the money for it and am currently trying to raise it. I tested a whole bunch of vintage pieces on my Ref 36. Two that stuck out were a Meyer Bros Tenor 80 tip size and Reso Chamber 105. They both were magical and made my tone buttery and vibrant in a way I've never felt before. I used a Rico Jazz Select 3S on both. The Meyer was super buttery and effortless to play. It just made you happy it sounded so cool. The Reso was also buttery but not quite as easy to play (Though definitely not hard to play). The Reso was different than anything I've ever played. So rich and lush I was overcome with satisfaction several times when playing it. (I read someone wrote they sound hoarse, like a Slant Sig with a sore throat- and I would agree with that (In a good way though!) That is an extremely rare event for me. The thing is I've shared the recording I made of it while trying it with other people and no one really loves it. In fact a couple of non musicians preferred the sound of my stock otto link new vintage 5* hard rubber piece- because it has a more clear sound so to speak. I can say though, that while a very nice piece, my new vintage link (which I got from another forum member here for $100, has never given me the chills like the Reso Chamber.

There are other mouthpeices that would be better for bebop tenor saxophone (Bird is my main and first inspiration) For example the hard rubber "JazzMaster".Has anyone tried these? Wheew talk a speed demon's dream! But on tenor I feel the essence of what I want to get it is in this video.
Not the sound per say, but he essence of what Stan is communicating. I think the Reso I tried gives me the best shot at it. I think I'll keep the playing fast thing to the alto.

So my next thing to deal with is trying to cobble together the money for it. It was refaced to a 105 by one of the very best. Is $1,200 too much for a mouthpiece?
Yep.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.