Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used various reeds on my Otto Link Tone Edge (6), but I've never been able to get the right reed size.
I normally use a 3.5 Vandoren Traditional on my Vandoren T20 (.076)
I felt that a 3 Vandoren Java Green was a little too soft.
I thought a 3.5 Rico Royal was heading towards the right reed size.
So what reed size should my next order of La Voz Tenor reeds should I buy?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'd go as hard as you can find, I usually find that La Voz tend way softer than Vandoren Trad. or Java, and a bit softer than a Rico Royal. It's just my opinion, but I find that softer La Voz reed play a ton better than the harder ones, to the point where I've gone from a hard to a medium, and never regret playing on soft reeds.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I'd go La Voz MH on a 6. I use a La Voz M on a Link 7*, but I know a lot of players who like MH on a 7* so maybe H for you. Good luck. Also...check this out:

http://www.saxplus.com/reed-strength-chart.html

It says a La Voz MH is between a Rico Royal 3 and 3.5. This is correct in my experience, but you have to try a MH and H to know for sure what would work best for you.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may be wrong, but I would gently suggest this points to some problem(s) other than reed strength.
No, not really.
I know when a reed is just too soft for me.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
LaVoz Medium Hard. It's not really medium hard. LaVoz runs soft. Medium would probably be too soft. If the MH is a little hard you can always scrape it slightly. Rico Select Jazz is a better reed. Longer lasting. Try a 3 Medium.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts