Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an original Benjamin Allen 20TD that I really like. I prefer to use "un-extrodinary" equipment - meaning I like equipment that if I were ever to damage, I could easily replace it. It appears as though Ben is no longer making mouthpieces. Is there anything on the market that is similar to a 20TD? Is the D'Adarrio Select Jazz a candidate?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,216 Posts
I haven't played the Ben Allen pieces (I hear they are great, though) so can't make a comparison. But are you looking for a 'backup' mpc? Why not look on the used market for another 20TD?

I don't really understand why you don't want to use it because you're afraid of damaging it. Are you going to store it in a safe and never touch it? What's the point of having a great mpc that you like and then not using it? It's really not difficult to avoid damaging a mpc (don't drop it tip first on concrete, or throw it at the wall, or run over it with you car, for a start). I guess I have more questions than answers for you; sorry about that.

Someone will likely be able to come up with something similar, but it's not likely to be the same.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I have an original Benjamin Allen 20TD that I really like. I prefer to use "un-extrodinary" equipment - meaning I like equipment that if I were ever to damage, I could easily replace it. It appears as though Ben is no longer making mouthpieces. Is there anything on the market that is similar to a 20TD? Is the D'Adarrio Select Jazz a candidate?
I’ve played both and yes. That is exactly what I thought when I played the D’Adarrio...this is a poor man’s 20TD. Very similar.

I remember the 20TD as having a much wider tonal palate though.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I’ve played both and yes. That is exactly what I thought when I played the D’Adarrio...this is a poor man’s 20TD. Very similar.

I remember the 20TD as having a much wider tonal palate though.
Not my impression. The D'Addario I had would be as bright if not even brighter. Although it had a great tone of its own I felt it lacked the depth and the
deep layered lows of the 20TD. Less rich.
I would opt for finding another one on the used market.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,541 Posts
The closest piece to the 20TD that I had was a Lamberson J6 - another rare bird, tho’.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you blue boy and jazznbluezzz for your input. I found your different impressions of the D'Addario interesting.

Dr. G, I have no experience with a Lamberson J, but I never would have guessed it would be in the same category as a 20TD. I think a lot of people perceive the 20TD as being a bright mouthpiece, especially if they have heard Tony Dagradi playing it. It has plenty of highs available if you want them, but for me, it's fairly balanced. Ben says the piece is in total equilibrium with itself. Maybe the fact that it can be pushed brighter or darker by the player is how it is similar to the Lamberson?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,541 Posts
Dr. G, I have no experience with a Lamberson J, but I never would have guessed it would be in the same category as a 20TD. I think a lot of people perceive the 20TD as being a bright mouthpiece, especially if they have heard Tony Dagradi playing it. It has plenty of highs available if you want them, but for me, it's fairly balanced. Ben says the piece is in total equilibrium with itself. Maybe the fact that it can be pushed brighter or darker by the player is how it is similar to the Lamberson?
Yes, that is what I enjoy in the pieces I favor - complex tone, dynamic response, and responsive to the player’s airstream.

I’ve since moved to a Phil-Tone “Intrepid” - it has all those factors, plus it articulates even better, and has more buzz when pushed.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Has it ever actually been verified Ben Allen no longer is making mouthpieces? I know there were earlier discussions of delayed orders and problems with not getting return communications back from Ben, but is it clear he is out of the business? That would be a great shame because his finishing work nothing short of impeccable, and the '10E' I have is a terrific player and am certain will be staying with me long term. However, am not at all worried about playing it even if it can't be replace.....mouthpieces are meant to be used, and anyway I take good care of my pieces.

·
23,216 Posts
carr, I'm still trying to understand why you don't want to play the 20TD, since you really like it. Are you looking for a backup mpc (that would make sense) or are you looking for a different, but similar mpc, to play? Just curious. Maybe I misinterpreted your OP, but you didn't answer my question(s) so I'm still wondering...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dr. G, "complex tone, dynamic response, and responsive to the player’s airstream" is a great way to put it.

Museman, I assumed he was no longer making mouthpieces because his website was down. It's a shame - his website had some interesting information on it in addition to being a place to order his mouthpieces.

JL, I'm not sure where you got this from, but I am most certainly NOT afraid to play the piece because it could get damaged. I play it all the time. I may be interested in finding a back-up, and not necessarily something that is identical, but close. If that happens to be something that is readily available and affordable, that's even better, because then I can recommend it to my students.

·
23,216 Posts
Dr. G, "complex tone, dynamic response, and responsive to the player’s airstream" is a great way to put it.

Museman, I assumed he was no longer making mouthpieces because his website was down. It's a shame - his website had some interesting information on it in addition to being a place to order his mouthpieces.

JL, I'm not sure where you got this from, but I am most certainly NOT afraid to play the piece because it could get damaged. I play it all the time. I may be interested in finding a back-up, and not necessarily something that is identical, but close. If that happens to be something that is readily available and affordable, that's even better, because then I can recommend it to my students.
Thanks for clarifying. I must have misinterpreted what I read. fwiw, here is the statement where I got that idea (evidently I interpreted it erroneously):

"I have an original Benjamin Allen 20TD that I really like. I prefer to use "un-extrodinary" equipment - meaning I like equipment that if I were ever to damage, I could easily replace it."

Now I think I see what you meant and getting a backup that's not identical makes total sense (I've done the same thing, and sometimes the 'back up' becomes the main piece and vice versa). Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My apologies JL - I did not intend to be unclear.

Another interpretation of "un-extraordinary equipment" could be this (at least for me): I prefer to not rely on super power chamber nuclear anti-gravity mouthpieces with facing curves that are based upon the Earth's trajectory around the sun and made out of a special titanium alloy used for toilet handles on the space shuttle. :)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I may be interested in finding a back-up, and not necessarily something that is identical, but close. If that happens to be something that is readily available and affordable, that's even better, because then I can recommend it to my students.
I have one I may sell if you are interested and it is about as unused as you could imagine. Practically as soon as it arrived I switched to a slant sig link that came back from Brian Powell.
So it is one of those sat doing nothing.

·
23,216 Posts
Another interpretation of "un-extraordinary equipment" could be this (at least for me): I prefer to not rely on super power chamber nuclear anti-gravity mouthpieces with facing curves that are based upon the Earth's trajectory around the sun and made out of a special titanium alloy used for toilet handles on the space shuttle. :)
Ah, got it! For all of that you just need to get a Klangbogus.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts