Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The most basic definition is that the elements of music are pitch, rhythm, and timbre put together in an order which is pleasant to listen to. We like both repetition and surprise. A montage of recorded environmental sounds could be considered music but not everyone would agree with this. There are associations with sounds and melodies which evoke memories. This adds a more complicated layer of meaning to music. Music can have a spiritual quality for some people. Music is important in all cultures but not as important as food, shelter and a job; and for most people, procreation. I don't think there is a primary human need for music but usually there is a primal desire for music. I do know of at least a couple people who could live quite happily without ever hearing music again. Music is a useful emotional enhancement for movies and games which seems to be a general direction of entertainment for the human race.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,952 Posts
The most basic definition is that the elements of music are pitch, rhythm, and timbre
Music doesn't necessarily need all three of those elements, so it's not quite a definition.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
Music is an art form whose medium is sound and silence. Common elements of music are pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics, and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Music doesn't necessarily need all three of those elements, so it's not quite a definition.
Well the way I learned it, if a sound doesn't have definite pitch then it's noise.

That's what so irritating about noise. Too many conflicting partials.

Surely you agree music is separate from noise.

Not saying that noise can't be incorporated within music to create dissonance and tension.

But if a sound continuously does not have a definite pitch then by definition it is noise.

Eric Dolphy said music is " Time Space Rhythm and Pitch ".

I'll roll with Eric.

And to paraphrase that Supreme Court Justice.

I don't know what music is but I know it when I hear it.

·
28,952 Posts
Well the way I learned it, if a sound doesn't have definite pitch then it's noise.
Noise can only be a subjective term. many musical sounds can be pitchless, or rather, not have a definite pitch. Ask any percussionist.

·
3,287 Posts
Music is a series of sounds that are not boring or annoying to the people that call it music.

Lady Gaga is not music and Beethoven is, according to my personal taste definition.

Number one rule in music or any art is to try not to be boring like a person who just raves on and doesn't know when to stop talking is.

I suppose Lady Gaga tries not to be boring but she still is boring to me.

·
2,853 Posts
The most basic definition is that the elements of music are pitch, rhythm, and timbre put together in an order which is pleasant to listen to.
It's the age old question that has been asked in regards to art. Who decides what is "pleasant to listen to"? Is it the same guy that decides what is "pleasant to look at"?
For me, it's difficult to say that music is anything more than a rhythm, a beat. Without that, you might end up with tones that may or may not sound pleasant to some.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Noise can only be a subjective term. many musical sounds can be pitchless, or rather, not have a definite pitch. Ask any percussionist.
I disagree with the percussionist aspect. While some percussion instruments have an indeterminate pitch most have a definite pitch.

The bongueros and congueros I know say that their drums are like pianos. Especially bongos.

I heard Garryck King play " A Night In Tunisia " on a snare drum.

I'm talking the actual melody. In tune.

Now there are some sounds that don't have definite pitch not only in percussion but even saxes.

I remember a drummer saying he tunes his set to A G and C if my memory serves.

The textbook definition of noise is that it doesn't have a definite pitch.

Why is it when you quoted me you left off part of what I said? " Not saying that noise can't be incorporated within music to create dissonance and tension."

I allowed for that.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
The elements of music are pitch, rhythm, texture, harmony, and dynamics. Music is sounds planned through time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
Everyone here seems to be 'describing' music rather than defining it... Music is intentionally organized 'sounds', whether Beethoven, Stockhausen, 'Gaga', Sun Ra or a kid w/ buckets and sticks and an MP3 player playing back tracks... A dirge is not uplifting but the 'second line' in a New Orleans funeral procession is...

·
2,870 Posts
"The border between music and noise is always culturally defined—which implies that, even within a single society, this border does not always pass through the same place; in short, there is rarely a consensus ... By all accounts there is no single and intercultural universal concept defining what music might be."

·
3,287 Posts
One persons music might be another persons noise.

Music is undefinable except to say it has tones occurring at various pitches and occurring at various times which is also what a bird produces and a lot of other things and these tones occurring at various pitches and occurring at various times are judged to be music mainly by personal taste.

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
Music is the sound that comes out of a Triumph Bonneville's exhaust

Also, it is the sound the clerk makes whenever he tells me there's fourty percent off RR reeds.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
"The border between music and noise is always culturally defined—which implies that, even within a single society, this border does not always pass through the same place; in short, there is rarely a consensus ... By all accounts there is no single and intercultural universal concept defining what music might be."
Ooo, that is quite good. Source?

·
28,952 Posts
Drums are tuned by any percussionist who knows what he's doing.
Correct, some drums have a definable pitch, others don't. They can still be "tuned", but it can still mean they are pitchless. The term "pitchless" is usually used for sounds (or noises) that don't appear to have any on dominant pitch.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Correct, some drums have a definable pitch, others don't. They can still be "tuned", but it can still mean they are pitchless. The term "pitchless" is usually used for sounds (or noises) that don't appear to have any on dominant pitch.
If they are tuned then it's most likely they have a definite pitch.

I really don't understand why some here can't see that noise has no definite pitch.

That's what makes it so irritating. The partials are clashing. And notice I didn't say harmonics. The partials are cancelling each other out.

This has been a universal definition for a long time.

The harmonics in a musical tone enhance each other

Music has definite pitch but sometimes noise is employed within music for effect or emphasis.

Here in Los Angles you won't find many that say leaf blowers are music to their ears. They are without a doubt NOISE.

What I'm seeing is a confusion of musical taste rather than a definition. Some may not like a style of music but it's still music.

Music has a DEFINITE PITCH.

Come on guys quit being pedantic.

·
28,952 Posts
Music has definite pitch but sometimes noise is employed within music for effect or emphasis.
Mostly it does, but it does not have to. As I said, some percussion sounds have no definite pitch, yet can still be organised into music.

You just need to get out of the rut of thinking music has to have a tune. Nothing to do with being pedantic, all to do with opening up your perceptions and new concepts, although the concept of percussion only music is probably the oldest!

1 - 20 of 113 Posts