Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking to put up for sale on eBay a Selmer Super Action 80 tenor sax. According to the serial number, it was manufactured in 1983. I will be selling the horn for a friend and it has been lightly used by her.

The sax is in very good condition, and lacquer is 95% perfect. No dents and minimal wear. The only thing is that the pads have not been replaced. Now, I got an appraisal form a professional music store that states that the horn is "worth" $4975 CAN ( about $4440 US). Of course, I beleive it is nothing near what I could get.

Does $2500 US seem to be a fair starting price? Any further advice?

Thanks,
Thomas

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,574 Posts
Seems a bit high to me. If it were me, I'd start very low (or .99) and put a reserve on it of about $1900. If it gets to $2500, you've made out.

It is, after all, almost 25 years old, not a "hot" model in the market, and needs a complete repad.

Just my 2 cents....

Alan

C

·
0 Posts
It's worth about 2 bucks. But, I'll help you out and give ya a fiver ! :D

Actually, awholley is right. $2500 sounds pretty high, a lower reserve
is probably needed to guarantee a sell. Who knows, you may get $2500.
But from what I see on Ebay, a series I just doesn't bring that kind of money very often.

Good selling,
Toobz

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your input. I'll give it a try and start the auction at $2500.If it doesn't sell, I'll consider a lower reserve.

The only thing is that the owner initially expected to get $2500-$3000 for the sax. Still, if it's not what it's worth, we can't really stud the horn with diamonds...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,574 Posts
Your best bet is to look at successfully-completed auctions (be sure to check whether the reserve was met) for comparable-condition Series II horns and Yamaha 875s and price a couple hundred lower. Also, make sure you have some really sharp close-up pictures to get buyers salivating over the minty condition.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
These horns seem to be going for a fair bit less than most Serie II horns. By most accounts the Serie II horns are a slight modification of the original Super Action 80 horns. The addition of the teardrop front f and some slight keywork changes play out. The acoustical design of the horns appears to be the same to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts