Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So next year I plan to march bari sax (or tenor ONLY if there is not enough baris or its a extreme pain in the 'brass'). The reasons why I would like to march bari is because:
1. I like bari saxes range and the mighty Low A. I to extreme extent embrace that 2nd left thumb key that spews out a concert C.
2.I want to play two instruments in one year and that marching season and concert season are each 1 semester. Since my primary/concert instrument is the tuba (great overall, better than the majority in my school) and I double on sax, I do not want to completely abandon tuba yet while having a not so short time where I can enjoy playing saxophone and be recognized doing it in a school band.
3.I can play alto saxophone. However, I don't really like its range and the quantity of alto members in the group (LOTS OF PEOPLE).
4. I have friends in the alto section. In my school, low reeds are an neighboring ally section of the altos compared to other section like trumpets and flutes or baritones......... We have football games and the low reeds are usually seated next to the altos.

I talked to the band director in my school and he agreed to let me take home a bari around December or near the end of the 1st semester. But its not December right now.

If you march/have marched bari, know a friend that marched bari, or have a little bit of an experience such as marching tenor sax or bass clarinet, please share it with me; I would love tips, warnings, and stories about marching bari :).

· Registered
931 Posts
My warning is don't try marching bari, you will very rarely be heard in comparison to low brass, and it's rather heavy.
Tenor would be a much better idea to march with in my opinion.
This comes from hearing many bands at marching competitions over the past few years, if you're on bari you're not going to be very useful to the ensemble.

· Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
43,506 Posts
if you're on bari you're not going to be very useful to the ensemble.
Maybe they won't hear you, But you will look good!

If you march/have marched bari, know a friend that marched bari, or have a little bit of an experience such as marching tenor sax or bass clarinet, please share it with me; I would love tips, warnings, and stories about marching bari :).
believe it or not, you are not the first to ask about marching a baritone, here a few of the many threads , reading through them will tell you a lot more than starting a new thread ever will.

Good luck with marching and happy reading.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?91465-Ahhh!-Marching-bari

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?139212-HELP-Marching-Bari

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?61828-Marching-a-bari

· Registered
1,742 Posts
Nobody hears any individuals in a marching band except the trumpets, and the tim-toms, maybe the metallophone...everybody else is support noise. BUT, marching is good and you might as well suit yourself to the horn of your choice - besides, you'll get all that free practice on Bari, at least LOOK unique, and enjoy all the other perks of being in the band. Go for it!

· Registered
74 Posts
it sucks

· Distinguished SOTW Member
1,549 Posts
I marched Bari in high school. Built up my wind and strength pretty good but marching parts are boring. Most of the time they double with the sousaphones. You will gain a real good grasp of perfect fourths.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,399 Posts
If you want to carry something heavy, and have an impact on the band's sound, play bass drum.

No joke. I played bass drum through high school and college marching bands.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,659 Posts
If you want to carry something heavy, and have an impact on the band's sound, play bass drum.

No joke. I played bass drum through high school and college marching bands.
Percussion is a great marching instrument - especially if you want to make a contribution to the sound, but I recommend flute or piccolo. Easy to carry and you get to sit with the girls... Looking good from a distance is one thing, but being able to sit with the flutes...priceless

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,399 Posts
Percussion is a great marching instrument - especially if you want to make a contribution to the sound, but I recommend flute or piccolo. Easy to carry and you get to sit with the girls... Looking good from a distance is one thing, but being able to sit with the flutes...priceless
There's always the bus...

· Registered
VI Soprano, Searchlight Alto, TH&C Tenor
1,985 Posts
i got stuck marching the school's Bundy bari in 9th grade. actually grew very fond of that horn, and suffered no chronic conditions to speak of. mostly the size and weight keeps you more aware of handing it more that you would with anything smaller.

· Registered
6 Posts
I marched a bari junior and senior year of HS, also did pep and concert band with it. I felt pretty proud of it because I was the only guy in the sax group that could play it, in reality, the pieces are pretty boring usually, but lets be serious, trumpet players are the bell of the ball in HS.

· Registered
3,347 Posts
A lot of people exercise to music — but it's other people's records. Why not exercise to the music you make yourself ? Do it ! You''ll shed those kilograms fast !

· Registered
495 Posts
I marched bari from age 60 to 66 - naturally with a harness. It is possible and not too hard - except when you suddenly encounter a pothole (the mouthpiece tends to jump out of your mouth).

· Distinguished SOTW Slacker, Forum Contributor 2017
822 Posts
All I can say is you've got to be bigger than me. With full band uniform, white bucks, that dang cap and two miles in the sun, alto was enough for me. The percussion guys have all the fun anyway. Before you commit, play Washington Post over and over for about an hour an a half while walking around the football field. Pray for a cool overcast day.

· Forum Contributor 2015-2017
4,774 Posts
Well, you can cowboy the f... Up, or listen to the voices telling you it is too hard.

It IS hard, and therein lies half of the fun.

I marched two years with a Conn bari that weighed a ton,
Before i had ever heard of a sax harness (if that even existed then)
And two years with a tuba. That is not a typo. A four rotary
Valve Mirafone concert tuba. Yeah, pretty heavy. Yeah, huge fun!

Oh, and you can be heard on bari if you put some air through the thing.

Dat
Sax
Man

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.