Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a retired antique collector who recently purchased an estate. In the attic was this huge 1923 Conn Bass Sax. What is the honest value? Opinions welcome. Thanks Mariontoy

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Highly variable depending on location. But these often need a lot of work and it's not like overhauling a normal sax. I would say anywhere from $3,000 to $4,000 depending on market and given the condition it's in.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,821 Posts
what is going on with this thread?

There was another before but posted in the wrong section , now seems to have disappeared and this seems to be a post from a poster with 0 posts...

also, all the answers given before seem to have been lost and OP has never returned to the forum after posting

Anyway, in the NL this would be worth easily €10,000 is playing state, someone mentioned that overhauling this in the US may cost $5000. That sounds, to me , very steep, but int the US there ar shops charging a wide range of hourly rates for their repairs.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,328 Posts
Nice! That's about 13 serial numbers away from mine. Pretty sure it's 1922. Now, what's it worth? I have a Nickel one (yet a 1928) listed right now for $8000. I had a brass lacquered 1924 Buescher Bass for $5K and I had them beating down my door.

Conn basses are rare, yet recently there have been a number popping up. Bueschers are in a different bracket. The price pyramid of Conn's (Which in my opinion are a better bass) are (not counting the one's to F), Bare brass, first lacquer (as back then they never lacquered), Nickel, Silver with Gold bell, then gold plate. Condition is everything.

Playability is more of everything. Price of reconditioning is everything. I am in the middle of my silver one and it's taking lots of time. I agree $5000 for an overhaul is high, but it is labor intensive to clean all that silver let alone pad. I think I charge $2500 ish before cleaning.

Again now what is it worth? I hate putting prices on stuff!! I think it comes down to how quick you want to move it. Your condition (from what I can see in the pics) is not great. I'd say $4K to $7K MAYBE. If it was all finished and in mint playing condition, I could see someone paying $10K, but you might have to wait awhile. BTW take some pics and visit and submit it to www.Connsortia.com. While you're there look around, it's worth the time. Good Luck!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,821 Posts
I know for sure that in Europe, where American Bass saxophones are as common unicorns ( there are more hen’s teeth around than unicorns these days ) the price will be higher than in the US ( as mentioned above) but I als know that shipping a bass (unless you are into international shipments of large items , put it into a crate and on a pallet and consolidate the shipping at a specialized container consolidation forwarding agency) is not for everyone

Cartoon Fun Entertainment Snapshot Event

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,328 Posts
Well, now you know of possibly 2 that you can buy, have them shipped over, and be "the guy" to buy from. lol

• Haha
Reactions: brasscane
1 - 10 of 10 Posts