Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got an old holton alto sn 19xxx that is in ok shape. it is missing some pads and has a small bit of corrosion on one of the sound holes. it would probably need to be repadded and respringed to be a solid player again. It is still in pretty good shape for its age though.

i am looking to sell it on craigslist, but i dont really know what a fair price is for a sax needed to be overhauled.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Does it have soldered tone holes? If it does, and if they probably leak, it might not be worth anything other than parts or wall hanging. If it is drawn tone holes, IMHO under $200.

anchorsax

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Yep,

Probably $125 to $200 on eBay. And I highly recommend eBay over Craigslist.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,979 Posts
Does it have soldered tone holes? If it does, and if they probably leak...it might not be worth anything.....
:scratch:How in the world do you get from A to B in that instance ???!

Soldered toneholes = probably leak = worthless.

For goodness sake.....that's just silly.....in one sentence you assumed a horn which seller describes as "in pretty good shape"...is a wallhanger....

(and Enviro...you proceeded to list a bunch of auctions of Holton saxes nowhere near the era or models of this one)

It's an oldie, very Pre-Rudy, and it needs work... so unless it's Silverplated, probably about $125-150.

Worked up these can be quite nice...but even worked up into poppin' shape they would only fetch about $400.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holt
1,477 Posts
Does it have soldered tone holes? If it does, and if they probably leak, it might not be worth anything other than parts or wall hanging. If it is drawn tone holes, IMHO under $200.

anchorsax
all Holtons that I know of have soldered tone holes, except very late stencils. I have several--no tone hole leaks that I can tell.

Viva la Holton!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,979 Posts
Agreed...I have had over 15 thru here, ranging in vintage from '20's-'60's.... and never did any display a tonehole leak issue....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts