Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Black Laquer La Sax Soprano, Again, Black Laquer Selmer super action 80 serie II, and
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot even fathom the idea behind this design. No, it’s not mine lol. I just came across it on eBay figured it was so WILD that I just had to ask here. Anyone have even the slightest idea about the reasoning for something as absolutely unheard of as this Eugene Rousseau below? Just curious btw.

Attachments

·
Registered
Black Laquer La Sax Soprano, Again, Black Laquer Selmer super action 80 serie II, and
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wish the seller showed us the inside of the chamber. I’m curious as the what madness is going on in there lol

·
Registered
422 Posts

:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I’ll be damned lol. Knowing Eugene is such a respected name in this world I knew it had to be something that was more than just a funky design lol. How cool is that lol. Anyone have any experience playing such a design.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess it shouldn’t be much different than those early brillharts with those squeezed in chambers but it appears that it squeezes in and then goes into a much larger chamber so just curious how that might sound. Apparently it hasn’t caught on unless he got the design itself patented

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,445 Posts
No you're still right, that's an oddball piece. The JDX pieces (I've owned and what you see on the website) don't have that type of oversized wavy rails. Seems like a prototype maybe or someone had some fun experimenting on it.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
No you're still right, that's an oddball piece. The JDX pieces (I've owned and what you see on the website) don't have that type of oversized wavy rails. Seems like a prototype maybe or someone had some fun experimenting on it.
That's my thoughts as well. All of the JDXs I've played were angular and not curved and the rails were pretty standard. I wonder how that piece came to be? I wonder if Jody Espina knows?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
That's my thoughts as well. All of the JDXs I've played were angular and not curved and the rails were pretty standard. I wonder how that piece came to be? I wonder if Jody Espina knows?
I am pretty sure, as alluded to above, it was a prototype and pedates the Espina period.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so those of you have played the other Rousseau pieces. What were your thoughts about them? Did you like them, were they so-so, were they fantastic? I’ve always been curious as to how they sounded since I always found that squeezed baffle or rather chamber to be quite an interesting design. I would love to hear more about anyone’s past experiences with any of these new used or even funky looking Rousseau mouthpieces. Thanks

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
so those of you have played the other Rousseau pieces. What were your thoughts about them? Did you like them, were they so-so, were they fantastic? I've always been curious as to how they sounded since I always found that squeezed baffle or rather chamber to be quite an interesting design. I would love to hear more about anyone's past experiences with any of these new used or even funky looking Rousseau mouthpieces. Thanks
You may quite readily find a piece that suits you more but they're a fabulous back-up piece. So yeah they're definiately worth tryin'

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,445 Posts
so those of you have played the other Rousseau pieces. What were your thoughts about them? Did you like them, were they so-so, were they fantastic? I've always been curious as to how they sounded since I always found that squeezed baffle or rather chamber to be quite an interesting design. I would love to hear more about anyone's past experiences with any of these new used or even funky looking Rousseau mouthpieces. Thanks
If you look at the normal design, it's nothing much like this one. Here's the internal of a normal JDX:
Rim Auto part Circle Font Metal

The pieces are pretty straightforward with a decent baffle for a bit of edge. They are pretty solid I really enjoyed mine (pre Jody Jazz ownership) until I got onto some hand finished pieces.

·
Premium Member
Modern & Historical / Charles Chedeville CC1 Alto MPC and Theo Wanne Ambika Soprano MPC
1,344 Posts
This has been discussed here before, as Mark pointed out, the design is based on Frank Wells´patent from 1984.
Rectangle Font Line Parallel Slope
Rectangle Font Line Parallel Slope

Not sure what the connection is to Rosseau´s mpcs of course, perhaps, indeed, a prototype.
You find more here:

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
We would all probably be very surprised how many silly shaped rail and chamber configurations would play just fine as long as the internal volume what kept in check.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I wonder how many people would pay extra for custom silly chamber designs. I want mine to look like two faces. Or a candleholder.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is a sidewall version of a baffle insert. Certainly quite novel! It causes faster air velocity, which increases the force on the reed via a Bernoulli effect. This is why high baffle mouthpieces or adding a baffle insert make mouthpieces play louder with less effort. I've added baffle inserts to most mouthpieces I've used, to very satisfactory effect; but never tried building out the sidewalls like this.

This is, by the way, the same shape, more or less, of nozzles in solid fuel missiles. Again, the aim is to increase the velocity of exiting gases.

·
Registered
118 Posts
This is a sidewall version of a baffle insert. Certainly quite novel! It causes faster air velocity, which increases the force on the reed via a Bernoulli effect. This is why high baffle mouthpieces or adding a baffle insert make mouthpieces play louder with less effort. I've added baffle inserts to most mouthpieces I've used, to very satisfactory effect; but never tried building out the sidewalls like this.

This is, by the way, the same shape, more or less, of nozzles in solid fuel missiles. Again, the aim is to increase the velocity of exiting gases.
This is a cool concept. I wonder if Frank thought of it this way or was more intuitive?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a JDX just like the OP's so it's not a one-off. But it sure is unusual. I actually like the way it plays, Volume, but not harsh.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts