Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, some of you will know that my Earthtone horns are ageing somewhat disreputably (as I hope to age ;)) but what in Gods name happened to this Earthtone Alto 2001 that is on a well known auction site?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/B-S-AlTO-S...606434?hash=item1a7c5ccda2:g:pyEAAOSwdvRc4nvB

Still, some would say it has character (perhaps not the sort of character you would want to meet down a dark alley late at night), but it has the adjustable palm keys too, so maybe there is a bargain to be had here for someone...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,589 Posts
It looks like a Katrina horn to me - one that was submerged in water for a while. I would anticipate frozen rods and rusted springs ready to snap.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,275 Posts
Someone tried to remove the lacquer and stopped mid job? (yes some of the earthtones had lacquer)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Looks like we're seeing the combination of worn off lacquer, patina / oxidation where the lacquer is worn off, and oxidation under the lacquer.

Life near the ocean has taken its toll on this horn. Not to mention the bell crease, bow dent, nasty pads, ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
Looks as though it was left too close to the fireplace in a stand.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
It's cheap -if sells cheap it's well worth spending money getting it fixed up. I'm tempted to have a punt myself, these are great horns and I've had stuff in far, far worse condition than this.

·
7,275 Posts
I don't know guys. The bow is dented in and the sax needs an overhaul. Might be cheaper to buy a used one that plays.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,589 Posts
“Beautiful sound

Needs overhaul to make it work”

OK.....

I agree that it may be due to sea environment exposure - or it could have been bought in a box of salvage instruments. Regardless, it could be a huge job if the rods and pivots are all corroded and frozen. The most honest part of their description is that it is being sold as a parts horn.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,372 Posts
“Beautiful sound

OK.....

I agree that it may be due to sea environment exposure - or it could have been bought in a box of salvage instruments. Regardless, it could be a huge job if the rods and pivots are all corroded and frozen. The most honest part of their description is that it is being sold as a parts horn.
Must mean the beautiful sound of beating it with a hammer. That explains the dents

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
“Beautiful sound

OK.....

The "parts horn" statement is the kicker. How a "parts horn" can also have a "beautiful sound" takes a little stroll through imagination lane. viz: these horns sound beautiful and buying this horn will provide some missing parts to help you get there, perhaps, when you cannibalize.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The "parts horn" statement is the kicker. How a "parts horn" can also have a "beautiful sound" takes a little stroll through imagination lane. viz: these horns sound beautiful and buying this horn will provide some missing parts to help you get there, perhaps, when you cannibalize.
The "parts horn" inclusion is a safety measure on eBay so a buyer can't come back and demand a refund for a non-working item. It's used quite often in electronics auctions...

·
7,275 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts