Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,705 Posts
Mr Green, I'm not a pro but I take music seriously and still gig in many situations when I can. That being said, I am these days thinking about what I love from the artists I love and how to integrate that into my soloing. I love Sanborns phrasing and tone and he has me in just a few notes so thats what I plan to practice on a daily basis. Yes I'll do tech work and run changes but at the end of the day your either tell your story or show what is the last cool lick you practiced in the practice room and can you force it into a solo. Many ideas on this but I did a thing years ago where looked at 25 guys in my itunes I liked alot I went throught every one and discovered that time and phrasing were the reason I gravatated and bought allthe people I did. I also noticed that when artists got to licky or technique oriented I didnt like that. Its all personal taste. ? what do you want expressed out of your playing. who do you love and why. Thats my current direction at 66 >and 45 years into this K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,705 Posts
you hit two key components, 1, if you hate the tone coming through the cans it does effect your playing (mine too) and 2. if the balance isnt right you cant hear if you are in tune. I still keep a tuner handy for those times where due to ineptitude or a bad moniter situation I simply cant hear myself as I play. works K

1 - 2 of 2 Posts