Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At age 52, I am now involved with a group that is putting together a full length 8-9 tune CD of original jazz material. I've been involved with recording parts or solos here and there but never this involved. I've spent most of my life in horn bands, wedding bands, society bands, etc. Never as the only sax player in a quarter - Bass, Drums, Guitar, Sax. Here's what I'm learning (even at my ancient age):

1) My recorded sound wasn't the sound I had in my head.
We're recording in the bass players home study. Since we have plenty of time and we want to socially distance, I play in the recording booth and we record all the rehearsals to gain experience. It took a couple months to get the right reed combo to get the sound I thought I already had. Altissimo still isn't there but everyday - I feel like I'm heading in the right direction.

2) Pitch Pitch Pitch and More Pitch
This is by far the MOST frustrating part. I'm having difficulty hearing 'in-tune' in the studio. I always thought I played fairly in tune but maybe not. Put on the headphones and stick me in a booth and I seem to lose the center. Definitely a learning experience. I hear ALL the issue during playback but not while actually playing. So Bizzare.

3) Simple solos seem to sound best.
I really want to crush something and prove to the world that I not terrible. Here's the problem. When I try to play something complicated and fast, it just doesn't work. Clearly a case of trying to hard.

Any advice from you pros out there. I know recording more always helps.

Reactions: stomias

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick Follow-Up. After reading some of the post above, I talked the the sound tech (also the bass player). We add some reverb, move the mic a bit closer to the bell, and EQ'ed the headphones with a bit more high end. Basically making the heading and microphone sound what I'm used to in live situations. 100% better - I was so relieved when I can out of the both to hear the play back. Not perfect at least now I'm not going to throw my saxophones off a cliff.

Bottom line is that the headphones were so dry and mid/low heavy that my normal points of reference for pitch were simply not audible. Thanks for everyone's help.

Reactions: Tryptykon
1 - 2 of 2 Posts