Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just wonder why Selmer haven't made any Ref model for Sop. I guess it might be very interesting if they do so. Any comments or thoughts? :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
There will be,

It is in the pipe lines, i was speaking to Claude Delangle about this and he said they were starting the research and development this year, he predicted a release in approx 8 yrs, he said there was rumours of a fixed neck series III sop also but this may not happen he said.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Reference said:
Hi, I just wonder why Selmer haven't made any Ref model for Sop.
Because Yanagisawa did it before! :D

·
Registered
706 Posts
I agree with Silvin..
if you are to buy a M6 reproduction, buy it from Yani, they surely do it better and S6 is a great soprano

·
Registered
790 Posts
This is from Ed Svoboda's site about the VI soprano. So it probably should be a Reference 26 then? I'm not a soprano player so can't comment on the VI, but it was an interesting read.

The ugly step child of the VI family is the soprano. The design of the VI soprano basically dates back to 1926 and the model 26. It wasn't updated when the Balanced Action or Super Balanced Action horns were released and it wasn't updated when the VI line came out in 1954. This can be attributed to the fact that the soprano had become the ugly step child of the saxophone family right around when Sidney Bechet moved to Europe. Most players have a hard time playing a soprano in tune because of the different requirements that it puts upon the player's embouchure. Vintage Conns, Bueschers, Martin and even Kings can go toe to toe with VI sopranos and they all generally play with better intonation and tone. Coltrane and a host of other players who re-popularized the soprano in the 1960's played VI's mainly because they were the primary soprano still in production. The only other alternatives were to play a horn from the 1920's.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The thing is - I have yet to play a soprano, modern or vintage, that has that amazing core tone of the VI. There is a sweetness to it that is lacking in virtually every other horn I have had or tried.

Sure, ergonomics are better on other horns but nothing comes close tone wise to the VI soprano.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts