Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Needs more feet stamping and baton twirling thats all.
Don't forget the cowbell. Needs more cowbell. :mrgreen:

What if Belfast could learn to march like New Orleans?
Maybe the Republicans could march a Second Line of Loyalists right out of Belfast and back to England.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gary - Loyalists would go to Scotland, hence the Ulster Scots 'language' ;)

I wanted to drop a fife solo in the middle of the recording - my wife told me she'd personally kick me out of the country if I did that :p

·
27,650 Posts
Gary - Loyalists would go to Scotland, hence the Ulster Scots 'language'.
Really? Not wanting to open more old wounds and turn this into a political discussion, but for my education - I thought you basically had Loyalists who had their allegiance to the English Crown and the Republicans, who wanted a united Ireland. If the "Loyalists" are (Presbyterian?) Scots, then what are the Northern Ireland English descendants called? Thanks.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem Gary I will have to summarise as it's VERY complicated.....Loyalists are loyal to the 'British' or UK crown (ie the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland), but not the 'English' crown, (something some may argue has not belonged to England for centuries as our current Royals are more German and Scottish than English)! . In my experience (as an Englishman in Ulster, no soprano sax solo from Branford on this song;) ) some 'Loyalists' dislike the English more than the Nationalists / Catholics (or maybe it's just me), mainly due to the fact they feel successive 'English' governments (cf Westminster / UK) have 'sold them down the river' and allowed Dublin / the Republic a say in their affairs.

Northern Ireland has a major problem of what one sociologist referred to as a 'double minority complex' - i.e the Loyalists are in the minority within the Island of Ireland, the Nationalists are in a minority within Northern Ireland.....

So in summary Loyalists support the British crown, but have a deep suspicion of any foreigners, unless they are Irish Americans with deep pockets....

·
27,650 Posts
Thanks, Dan, much appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
As a carrier of Irish blood and growing up hearing my grandmother singing the ballads and laments and speaking in hushed tones about the 'Troubles' and 'The Big Wind' ( The great migration-- post potato famine) I think Dan's summary is pretty good--for an Irishman!!
To picture the 'Mardi-Gras Indians' wearing the orange sash and bowler hats and doing 'That Swagger' defies the wildest imagination!! and to see the 'prentice boys wearing feathers---that's worthy of Salvadore Dahli !!!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,279 Posts
No problem Gary I will have to summarise as it's VERY complicated.....Loyalists are loyal to the 'British' or UK crown (ie the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland), but not the 'English' crown, (something some may argue has not belonged to England for centuries as our current Royals are more German and Scottish than English)! . In my experience (as an Englishman in Ulster, no soprano sax solo from Branford on this song;) ) some 'Loyalists' dislike the English more than the Nationalists / Catholics (or maybe it's just me), mainly due to the fact they feel successive 'English' governments (cf Westminster / UK) have 'sold them down the river' and allowed Dublin / the Republic a say in their affairs.

Northern Ireland has a major problem of what one sociologist referred to as a 'double minority complex' - i.e the Loyalists are in the minority within the Island of Ireland, the Nationalists are in a minority within Northern Ireland.....

So in summary Loyalists support the British crown, but have a deep suspicion of any foreigners, unless they are Irish Americans with deep pockets....
That's pretty confusing even without delving into the UK crown.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the world of Irish politics jazzbluescat! ;) Hence the title of the tune.....I was more thinking along the lines of the fact the New Orleans can hold parades and march without upsetting anyone within ear shot ;)

·
27,650 Posts
Welcome to the world of Irish politics jazzbluescat! Hence the title of the tune.....I was more thinking along the lines of the fact the New Orleans can hold parades and march without upsetting anyone within ear shot.
Maybe that's because no one from a foreign country imposed serfdom on the New Orleanians, or barred them from owning their own land, or going to school, or voting for who was going to govern them in their own land, or from entering a profession, or from keeping their own non-potato food but rather exporting it, when there was famine throughout the land and masses of people were dying of starvation, or from . . . oh, never mind. Now - who's going to be marching in the Second Line this Mardi Gras?

·
27,650 Posts
...have to look to the future Gary, not the past - that's what I try and tell people anyway!
Probably a good thought to end on. :angel4:

(and as he fades into to the distance he is heard to whisper - "tiocfaidh ár lá" ;-)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,364 Posts
Surely- the reason belfast can't march like New Orleans is that you can't play the pipes standing up!

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Surely- the reason belfast can't march like New Orleans is that you can't play the pipes standing up!
Actually,

Jokes aside, the Irish Uilleann (Union) pipes can't be played standing up, but the Ulster Scots march with the Scottish Great Highland Bagpipe, which can't really be played properly while sitting!

Yes, I'm a piper.

Yes, my reply constitutes a stick in the mud.:mrgreen:

·
27,650 Posts
...the Ulster Scots march with the Scottish Great Highland Bagpipe, which can't really be played properly while sitting!
. . . nor should they be played sitting down or standing up. :twisted:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,279 Posts
Can they be played On a Hill Far Away? :D

Actually pipes sound better at a distance than up close, seriously, imho.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts