Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm off to study music in college, my parents never bought me a horn (it's ok because they're paying for college) so the only pro level horn I could afford is a 98 knight tenor. It's pretty good i guess. What did all you other folk go to college with?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Yamaha YTS-21 but I wasn't studying music. Don't worry about the horn just study and practice and it'll work out fine.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Martin Indiana with a leaking tonehole.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Selmer Mark VI

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
Selmer Mark VI alto and tenor, Conn soprano, King Zephyr bari and Buffet clarinet. I paid less than $700 for ALL of them combined!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Would have been my Mark VI, if I had played in college. Put it down for ~30 years after I got out of high school.
Wish I'd have picked it back up sooner. :p

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
Selmer MkVI, but I wanted one of those shiny, new MkVII's. Now I know better.:)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You'll do fine with the Cannonball. :)
I'm pretty happy with it, I just hope it holds up well. The only thing that got me second guessing myself, is I got it repadded a couple months ago and my tech asked me if that was my backup horn. ouch

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,567 Posts
I'm pretty happy with it, I just hope it holds up well. The only thing that got me second guessing myself, is I got it repadded a couple months ago and my tech asked me if that was my backup horn. ouch
It is from Taiwan and built in the late 1990's. He must have been surprised that it hadn't completely fallen apart into a pile of soft and not worth repairing metal...:tsk:

Just kidding. I have been playing my Raven tenor since 2005, and it is rock solid. I am taking it to college in the fall at age 34!

I played a Knight tenor that was (I think) gold plated...It was about 5-6 years ago. Sounded great. I'm sure it is still around too. :mrgreen:

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Conn Connstellation trumpet :mrgreen:

When I returned to school after a four-year break, this time as a woodwind performance minor, Mark VI alto.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Maybe he should be your back up tech.

There's a local tech here who's a real Mark VI/Selmer snob. He's a great tech, but I've learned to just ignore whatever comes out of his mouth. Here's a typical quote: "Yeah, I fixed it. It's okay but you know these <insert non-big 4 sax name> just don't cut it." Some techs are like that. If it's not a Selmer Paris, it's horrible and it's going to fall apart in a year.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
I was playing mainly tenor at that point. My horn as an intermediate level LA Sax Barrington. My alto at the time was still the Bundy II I started on. In my sophomore year, my tenor was stolen and I used the insurance money to buy a Keilwerth SX90R. At some point, I really needed a decent alto (I was playing lead alto in the big band and playing on borrowed horns) and I was able to pick up a Yanagisawa 880 on eBay for about $850. And those are the horns I still play today.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Selmer Mark VI alto and tenor, Conn soprano, King Zephyr bari and Buffet clarinet. I paid less than $700 for ALL of them combined!
*drool*

I still have one more year of high school but I will be bringing a '52 Zephyr tenor and an Aristocrat alto that I have not looked up the year on.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts