Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend at a certain famous flea market I purchased the remainders of a music store (or possibly a repairman's collection). I now have more possible instruments (and partial ones) than I know what to do with. My first step though was a bucket full of mouthpieces, most of which I can figure out (some of which you may see here for sale in the coming weeks), but a few of which have me puzzled.

I'm fairly certain that the one with a J (as well as several similar unpictured pieces) are alto sax blanks. My thought is the one marked 16 is a clarinet blank (several others of those too). The last one appears to be an alto mouthpiece, but with a protrusion (pictured) that doesn't allow for a mouthpiece to be properly affixed, my thought is that it's just a little closer to being an actual mouthpiece than the alto blanks, but not quite there yet.

http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k575/beoheed/Mouthpieces/

Does anyone know anything at all about these, what they are, who they might be from, who might use them now, what they might be worth?

I searched, but couldn't find anything, so if this has already been mentioned just point me in the right direction.

Thanks

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
I can't tell from the pictures what their origin might be. As they are unfinished with no facing and still showing the parting lines, there is a considerable amount of work that would be required to make them playable. Hard to say precisely what they are worth. If they are made of hard rubber, they would fetch more than if they were made of plastic. They might be worth a bit more if you had knowledge of their actual origin.

If you would like me to take a look at a few of them first hand, please send me a private message or email. I'd be happy to take a closer look and give you some feedback.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts