1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Yeah Ben Webster's great - he and Paul Gonsalves are my two all time tenor favourites. Today I think Scott Hamilton comes closest, he's a great player.

I also aspire to a deep, breathy, tone but I know my tone sounds strained where Webster's is effortless. Perhaps with another 20 years of practice... :|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgMg-HXyQzE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
David Murray is very influenced by Ben's tone, but of course David is brighter and more agro than Ben ever was.

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
You hear a lot of Ben in Scott Hamilton's early recordings,particularly in the ballads. Scott has since found more of his own voice, but there's still a lot of Ben in there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
When he wants to, Joshua Redman can sound very much like Gene Ammons. Listen to Jig-a-Jug from Village Vanguard album.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
Ben Webster was one of my first jazz influences along with Lester Young. Everytime I play a slow blues or ballad I do my version of Ben Webster. One of my favorites is the slow version of "Time After Time" he played on the album he did with Coleman Hawkins.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
Ari Ambrose plays with that kind of tone, but more modern(he is not imitating Ben Webster, he has his own thing going on).

I have one of his albums on Steeplechase, I am sure he has more.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Mactenor said:
I respectfully disagree.
I respectfully agree with your disagreement.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,205 Posts
They both played great! Why make such foolish comparisons? It's not a contest, or a football game. I wish I could play half as good as either of them.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
JL said:
They both played great! Why make such foolish comparisons? It's not a contest, or a football game. I wish I could play half as good as either of them.
I respectfully agree (;) ). Sax battles do happen (and they're sometimes fun!) but this wasn't one of them, IMHO.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
JL said:
I wish I could play half as good as either of them.
I very respectfully agree wholeheartedly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rick Adams said:
Yeah Ben Webster's great - he and Paul Gonsalves are my two all time tenor favourites. Today I think Scott Hamilton comes closest, he's a great player.

I also aspire to a deep, breathy, tone but I know my tone sounds strained where Webster's is effortless. Perhaps with another 20 years of practice... :|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgMg-HXyQzE
Don't forget Harry Allen, he plays even softer sometimes.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
saintsday said:
I very respectfully agree wholeheartedly.
I also respectfully disgree, in agreement with those above who disagreed, and agree wholeheartedly with your wholehearted agreement...and I raise you one. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts