Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious what hard rubber Otto Link this is? It is advertised as an EB or perhaps Florida but it has the numbers 1399 where the tip opening should be. I haven't seen that before on an EB. Just curious and as we can't discuss on FS threads anymore I thought I would ask here. Maybe these are number Nicholas Trefeil puts on a piece when he refaces it but it would seem strange to get rid of the tip opening number? Thanks, Steve

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...d-rubber-refaced-to-0-104-by-Nicholas-Trefeil

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,332 Posts
We can't post questions on the for sale threads, but you can PM the seller and ask him for more information.

·
12,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We can't post questions on the for sale threads, but you can PM the seller and ask him for more information.
My only problem with that is that the seller has a vested interest so many times I am not sure I trust the seller's answers in general anyways. I'm not talking about this person but I have communicated with many sellers who: 1. were misinformed 2. were told something untrue and ripped off themselves 3. I suspect were lying to me. Because of this, I prefer to get balanced feedback from a group of my peers that might know the answers to my questions........

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Steve, if I had to guess, I'd say they're probably Trefeil's numbers that he stamped/added. Also, aren't the tip numbers usually on the RH side of the body? There isn't a good photo of the RH side and those #'s are on the LH side, so without a good picture of that side, I can't tell if it's still there or not.

·
12,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve, if I had to guess, I'd say they're probably Trefeil's numbers that he stamped/added. Also, aren't the tip numbers usually on the RH side of the body? There isn't a good photo of the RH side and those #'s are on the LH side, so without a good picture of that side, I can't tell if it's still there or not.
Yeah, you are right. I don't see a tip opening anywhere.........

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,380 Posts
I'm curious what hard rubber Otto Link this is? It is advertised as an EB or perhaps Florida but it has the numbers 1399 where the tip opening should be. I haven't seen that before on an EB. Just curious and as we can't discuss on FS threads anymore I thought I would ask here. Maybe these are number Nicholas Trefeil puts on a piece when he refaces it but it would seem strange to get rid of the tip opening number? Thanks, Steve

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...d-rubber-refaced-to-0-104-by-Nicholas-Trefeil
To my eyes that piece is an actual "early Babbitt" i.e. the first Tone Edge that they made that wasn't produced from the old Florida blanks/core. Narrower body, no dip/lake behind a more substantial baffle although not as clamshell-y as the late Florida blank. He probably stamps them with a serial as his own way of keeping track of his work.

·
Vendor
15,600 Posts
Steve, it must be either the date that he stamps on there, or a serial number so he can keep track of who he did the pieces for and when.

·
Registered
8,146 Posts
The cookie cutter 7*. I’d like to know what it was before. Too open to get the most out of a good Tone Edge.
Nice baffle, tip and rails then darken it by being too open. It also messes with the articulation. That slight delay you hear when guys play open tips.
Anyway, it’s not a Link anymore but an “NT”. I hate seeing vintage stuff refaced.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The cookie cutter 7*. I’d like to know what it was before. Too open to get the most out of a good Tone Edge.
Nice baffle, tip and rails then darken it by being too open. It also messes with the articulation. That slight delay you hear when guys play open tips.
Anyway, it’s not a Link anymore but an “NT”. I hate seeing vintage stuff refaced.
just curious ,what facing tone edge do you play on yourself ? and what period do you prefer 50s,60s or 70s
Thanks for any answer

·
Registered
8,146 Posts
just curious ,what facing tone edge do you play on yourself ? and what period do you prefer 50s,60s or 70s
Thanks for any answer
I have a 70’s Tone Edge 6 I play the most. Whenever I try anything more open I lose the edge I like and I feel like it doesn’t speak as quickly as a normal sized tip.

·
Registered
9 Posts

I stamp a number and N.T letter which refer to a refacing sheet on every mpc i reface, except on the mpc's which already have serial number from the maker, on these ones i only stamp N.T letters.

·
Vendor
15,600 Posts
Nicolas,
Very nice to see you here. I recommend you to all my friends overseas.
You are my favorite refacer over there!
Hope you are well and staying safe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts