Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it all started for me about 3 years ago. After almost 20 years since my college days when I was playing seriously, I decided to get back into playing. I started on my old college horns, but it didn't take long until I decided it was time to go after the cool horns I always dreamed of when I didn't have any income and had to "play what I got." I then realized that chasing horns and buying/trying was a lot of fun. I made some good buys and bad buys along the way and made several new friends, but I was having a blast buying/selling different horns/mouthpieces and seeing what they were all about. Now I've come into a new phase where I think I have about the best horns I can possibly find, so I'm thinking "now what?" Obviously practicing and getting better is a key objective, but what else can I do to keep it fun now that the GAS appears to have topped itself out? Anybody else run into this problem? Does the GAS ever really go away?

This is meant to be a fun discussion around the best "problem" a sax player can have!

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,028 Posts
Easy answer: Buy more horns!!

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,871 Posts
Once youve narrowed down the best horn for you, now you have to try as many models of that horn as possible in case one is better than yours!!

- Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,531 Posts
The best problem a sax player can have is that too many clubs /events want to book his band because he and his band sound so good. There is the problem you are looking for. K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
I'm assuming that you're talking about just saxophones? If so, the best way to find more horns to buy is to take up doubling. That means you get to buy a whole family of clarinets (Eb, Bb, A, bass), flutes (flute, piccolo, alto and perhaps bass) and double reeds (oboe, English horn and bassoon). While you're at it, you can pick up a whole family of recorders.

Once you've assembled that entourage, you can take up brass: trumpet, cornet, flugelhorn, trombone and French horn.

Then you can pick up oddball instruments at your leisure such as theremin, ocarina, C clarinet, contralto clarinet, contrabass clarinet, oboe d'amore, contrabassoon, bass trombone, piccolo trumpet, and so on.

Good luck and enjoy! :)

(And oh boy, I almost forgot: do you really have all the saxes? Do you have a sopranino, soprillo, bass and contrabass? Maybe that's where you should start after all.)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Now I've come into a new phase where I think I have about the best horns I can possibly find, so I'm thinking "now what?" Obviously practicing and getting better is a key objective, but what else can I do to keep it fun now that the GAS appears to have topped itself out? Anybody else run into this problem? Does the GAS ever really go away?
Your mindset is all wrong then. The best horn is still out there, just waiting for you to stumble on it. Do you have to open your slightly throat to drop B2 by 10 cents? Means your shiny original SBA is garbage, nevermind hard work and effort.

I'm happy with my horn too, my GAS is when rare horns pop up and I'm tempted to collect.

Or you can pick up acoustic guitar, the GAS runs pretty deep there too.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Bob Reynolds' lesson site is awesome. I have been a member for several years and get great inspiration from it when I have time to check in.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,373 Posts
Practice!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,046 Posts
Now I've come into a new phase where I think I have about the best horns I can possibly find, so I'm thinking "now what?" Obviously practicing and getting better is a key objective, but...
No buts about it, you’ve run out of excuses to not practice.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,438 Posts
Collect vintage accessories to go with them. Items to hang on the walls of the music room or man cave. Frame a assortment of reed wrappers. Get a mirrored ball and red shoes. Practice and most of all have fun.

·
Registered
923 Posts
so I'm thinking "now what?"

Just repeat the process. Start all over, from scratch. Just think of all the fun you can have....again.

Obviously you may need to sell your current saxes to finance this "2nd time around "

Luckily your friends here on SOTW will be ready, willing and able to help you.

I myself am looking for a tasty Selmer Mk 6 or SBA tenor.........................................and await your message/offer............................. when you are ready!!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I know the feeling. I had a very very similar path of benign cluelessness (ahhh, sweet innocence....) about the difference between a True Tone and Keilwerth and Conn and VI and a Borgani..... it used to be kind of a ''whaaaa??... whatever..." sensibility. I know various players today who are kind of like that still...they basically don't care about what they are playing or the condition/status/set up of it.

Then it began....and slowly the "schools of thought" and variables appeared and were appreciated-- thanks in part to SOTW. Nice to have that under control so to speak, even late in [email protected]!.

(Yes mouthpieces can go on forever...but also closing in on ending or resolving that animal!)

But MAYBE I'm settled on a Superba I, a 119K VI, and a NWII stencil (very nice), 12m Bari. Selling off a 10M, Pierrette Artiste, and sold off a couple others along the way- no [email protected]!. I am still tempted by the Borgani clan and their siren song....agghhh

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ha ha - good answers folks! I don't think the GAS ever stops........just because I can't play like a pro doesn't mean I can't gear up like one!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,120 Posts
Dunno why, cash$$ usually runs out first.

Nevertheless, I recently decided to add some strings to my music practice: within a couple of months, I already have 2 guitars and 1 bass. By the way, guitar players are WAYYYYYYS more GAS addicts than the average of us horn players. Those guys go crazy with their stuff. A good friend of mine has a rolling inventory of 30 jazz guitars. He still can't play more than one at a time....

·
Administrator
13,994 Posts
Run out of horns to buy? I can't say that I have ever suffered from that affliction.:mrgreen:

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,623 Posts
Run out of horns to buy? I can't say that I have ever suffered from that affliction.:mrgreen:
Nor me

If you want to buy horns, there's loads out there.

If you think you don't need to buy any that's a different issue, just don't buy any. But if you need to buy some, then just buy some.

What am I mising here?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts