Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Those links show a horn that isn’t a Big B based on the serial number ..... looks like a pretty beat up early True Tone.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,372 Posts
It is a Buescher True Tone C Melody saxophone, deceptively photographed.
Run away!
Yes. And the split bell keys also indicate a much earlier horn than the 'Big B' engraved Aristocrats. It also looks like it was dredged up from the bottom of a lake or bay somewhere. Don't waste your time looking for these kinds of "bargains!"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,046 Posts
Yes. And the split bell keys also indicate a much earlier horn than the 'Big B' engraved Aristocrats. It also looks like it was dredged up from the bottom of a lake or bay somewhere. Don't waste your time looking for these kinds of "bargains!"
Seems like a theme, doesn't it?

Listen to JL. He's one of the more astute folk here.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
the attack of the Buescher C Melodies

(i once rescued one from the trash bin of an old sanitarium, ascribed it value based on it's circumstance, but was never blown away by any intrinsic quality. i gave it to a "noise" musician, who replaced it with an inexpensive Conn alto.)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Reading your posts, it seems you are in the market for a tenor, but have a very limited budget.

As there are a lot of these "bargain" unplayable horns online, I'd recommend saving yourself a lot of potential disappointment and contacting JayePDX instead, as he specializes in rehabbing undervalued vintage horns and selling them for very reasonable prices. Any horn you get from him is going to be in good playing condition:

http://www.2ndending.com/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts