Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
I've been looking at the Theo Wanne webpage for a while and can't find his stable wood mouthpieces anymore. Has Theo stopped making them all together? My main question is: Are they discontinued and, if so, why were they discontinued? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Love them and very disappointed to hear (directly from them) that, due to problems with the wood, they are no long making stable wood mpcs. Theo tried to make a HR mpc to have the same tone as the stable wood mpc that I sent back to him, however it did not come close.

W.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Maybe the old , traditional ways of seasoning hardwood over years, is being replaced with "Kiln Dried " material, which is more liable to warp, and move?

We are lucky to have a family run wood yard locally, where hardwoods are seasoned in the open for years , the planks are separated by spacers, and covered with tarpaulins! - but there are very limited supplies!

I believe instrument makers beat a path to their isolated door!

Blowhard2

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
BTW, FYI.... a 'stable' is a building for animal shelter, a 'stabile' whatever is a 'whatever with stability'... 'I had a (stable/stabile) relationship with my first wife but the horses always kept her awake at night!' Pronounced the same & spelled differently they are!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,687 Posts
Theo tried to make a HR mpc to have the same tone as the stable wood mpc that I sent back to him, however it did not come close.
Hmmm, why is that?

FWIW, I have seen others advertise "stabilized wood" that is often pressure-treated, sometimes with a chemical treatment.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
if I'm not completely wrong I believe that Theo's "Stable Wood" was a wooden product "stabilized" with some plastic or resin.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,677 Posts
if I'm not completely wrong I believe that Theo's "Stable Wood" was a wooden product "stabilized" with some plastic or resin.
Yes, that's what I remember from the info they had on the site. The wood was heat and pressure treated with resin.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
1,223 Posts
PEG: poly ethyl Glicol. This is what we use in conservation for the waterloged wood. When you dry the wood, the open cell are empty, making the wood prone to warp, crack, etc... to stabilise the wood, you need to fill the empty cell. The PEG do it very well. Wood is wood, even stabilised, it move with the dry/wet cycle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts