Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i was first trying out mouthpieces with my tenor, i tested out the Maestra 8 and loved it, but wanted to get a 7* later down the line in metal when i could allot the money for it. I'm not looking to buy one immediately, but sometime in the near future. Has Navarro stopped making mouthpieces? His website is no longer up and i can't find any new mouthpieces being sold (specifically metal maestras). Thanks to anyone who can help a guy out.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
I heard he is back at the job he had before he started selling mouthpieces. I bet he is still refacing mouthpieces too. You can always put up a post and say you’re looking for one of those and maybe you’ll find a used one. Good luck with your search.
I see you are new here, so welcome to SOTW.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
He faced his mouthpieces but I know he also subbed out some work to Brian Powell and Matt Marantz and probably others, for a while. The facing curves he used were normal curves that many of the modern refacers use.

He subbed out some pieces to those 2 early on. It wasn’t for a long time. Matt and Brian used to call me and tell me how much work it was to do those pieces. It would take a long time because of how the blanks were made.
Matt is doing wonderful work on his own pieces, as is Brian.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Thanks, good to know.
I’ve been measuring a lot of facing curves lately by different facers and they are all very much the same.
There is sometimes a difference in the overall length, but at the 5 points that I measure, there’s very little in it.
Surprisingly also many are not particularly even facings either.
I do recall there being quite a buzz about Navarro’s pieces, so if not in be facings it must be in their internal structure?
I’ve not had one of his pieces so can’t say for sure.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
He faced his mouthpieces but I know he also subbed out work to Brian Powell and Matt Marantz and probably others, for a while. The facing curves he used were normal curves that many of the modern refacers use.
Interesting. Is that common knowledge or do you have some insider info there? I wouldn't be happy if I ordered a Navarro piece and found out that someone else worked on it. And this is no shot at either Brian or Matt - I play on pieces refaced by Brian.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Yes, I know this for a fact. Rafy sent them pieces to assist with the workload earlier on.
I wouldn’t have said it if I didn’t know it directly from both of them. :)
His blanks initially required a lot of work, so it was more helpful for him to get some help. Nothing wrong with that.

Rafy did very good work himself. He refaced loads of vintage mpcs for me and always did a great job.
Nothing different about the curves from what loads of guys are using. Before he launched his mouthpiece line, he came over my home with about 20 of his mouthpieces that he had finished and I got a chance to play through pieces. They all played nicely. They were just a bit too warm for my tastes as a player—-but nothing wrong with the pieces at all. The looked great and were all well done. There are many refacers whose work I appreciate. Eric Falcon, Ted Klum, Sebastian Knox, Matt Marantz, Erik Greiffenhagen, Theo, Brian Powell, Johannes Gerber, Navarro, etc...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts