Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a sax, didn't like it and when I tried to return it the seller refused? weird. Never expected that. Thats changed completely. K

·
Registered
52 Posts
I’d like to return a few things I have purchased on eBay.
But the fact that I didn’t or don’t like them hadn’t occurred to me.
EG: I bought a mouthpiece that the seller said was a great player.
I thought otherwise.
Therefore I should be able to return it.
But apparently the fact that we have different tastes doesn’t matter.
Kind of like the shoes I bought a few weeks back.
Changed my mind and maybe green isn’t my colour after all.
Is it expected or assumed that because it was bought on eBay you can just return because you don’t like it?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
Is it expected or assumed that because it was bought on eBay you can just return because you don’t like it?
In many countries that is your legal right. It's also quite a standard return policy for many companies, although not if you've been using the item, ie you wouldn't be able to return a pair of shoes you'd been walking around in unless there is a warranty issue.

However I think ebay may require you to make your retunn policy clear, and it has always been the case that many sellers state that they won't take returns.

I think in this case even when the seller refuses, ebay (or payapl) may me able to force a return to be accepted, although only with postage at the buyer's expense unless the item was not as described.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,364 Posts
However I think ebay may require you to make your retunn policy clear, and it has always been the case that many sellers state that they won't take returns.
That is correct. When placing a listing a seller can specify 'will accept returns or not...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think perhaps when it was bought from a shop where it can be inspected or tested prior to purchasing, it is more reasonable.
But when on an auction site where that isn’t possible or the item may be used or otherwise, it is hardly fair.
eBay is already a joke and the fact that many used it as somewhere that they can try something knowing full well that they can return it simply because they don’t fancy it, doesn’t help matters.
But i guess this is why I don’t use eBay anymore as a seller.
Recently I was warned that my account would be cancelled because I offered to let buyers play test something I was selling prior to bidding on it.
Because I gave the person my address so that could try it, I was accused of trying to sell it outside of eBay.
That’s the mentality you are dealing with.
On a few ocassions I have bought mouthpieces etc that I didn’t like on eBay.
But being a reasonable person, it didn’t occur to me to return them simply on this basis.
But now that I know it can be exploited in this way, perhaps I’ll just buy a lot of things and then make up my mind.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Can you return things you win at your local auction house?
Yes, but you can only re auction them.
I don’t believe they have an “I don’t like it”, free return policy.
They also have a variety of payment methods that don’t put additional coins in their pockets.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,364 Posts
I think perhaps when it was bought from a shop where it can be inspected or tested prior to purchasing, it is more reasonable.
But when on an auction site where that isn’t possible or the item may be used or otherwise, it is hardly fair.
eBay is already a joke and the fact that many used it as somewhere that they can try something knowing full well that they can return it simply because they don’t fancy it, doesn’t help matters.
But i guess this is why I don’t use eBay anymore as a seller.
Recently I was warned that my account would be cancelled because I offered to let buyers play test something I was selling prior to bidding on it.
Because I gave the person my address so that could try it, I was accused of trying to sell it outside of eBay.
That’s the mentality you are dealing with.
On a few ocassions I have bought mouthpieces etc that I didn’t like on eBay.
But being a reasonable person, it didn’t occur to me to return them simply on this basis.
But now that I know it can be exploited in this way, perhaps I’ll just buy a lot of things and then make up my mind.
As a regular Ebay Trader I'm totally with you on this. I find the buyer mentality very frustrating in this respect...

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Ebay used to be a place where you could find good deals if you had your wits about you. Just like live auctions, garage sales, flea markets, etc.. For the knowledgeable person with a healthy amount of patients, caution and self control, the no returns policy works just fine so long as the item is not mis-represented.

You should not be able to return stuff just because you decide you don't like it. Chances are you only bought it in the first place because your impulsions got the best of you, Ebay continually moves their policies closer and closer to big box store mind-set. They want to dumb it down and make it a no-risk venue for ignorant and lazy compulsive shoppers to get their fix,.. because that is where the money is in our culture. And we all pay to participate. That is the real scam.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Keith you can return it. If you claim it was "SNAD", Significantly Not As Described, ebay will always force a return on the buyer. The sellers stated policy of no returns is always superseded by claims of SNAD.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Keith you can return it. If you claim it was "SNAD", Significantly Not As Described, ebay will always force a return on the buyer. The sellers stated policy of no returns is always superseded by claims of SNAD.
I don't ever recommend misrepresenting the situation.

eBay is a bit stuck. They are a publicly traded corporation and they are constantly trying to be the best place for both buyers and sellers so they slowly change what is allowed. They have most of the market, already, so their opportunities for expanding are limited. Essentially, an unethical person can return almost anything, which is frustrating to the sellers. At the same time eBay doesn't want to turn any buyers off from their site so they don't say, "Our goal is to get you the best deal possible, and so you the risk of purchase is completely on you." Because they are afraid to stand for anything - they will slowly have problems expanding.

I personally don't buy instrument related stuff on eBay because I don't know if I like something unless I try it....It is unethical to bid on something just so you can try it out. That misses the point of the Auction. I am also an avid stamp collector. I have purchased auction stuff on eBay, and I approach it as if I am going to get stuck with it, if it isn't exactly as represented - unless it is an eBay storefront....in which case I think I should be able to freely return it.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I'm not advocating misrepresenting anything and I have no idea of the particulars of this purchase. If the buyer purchased based on claims that he feels were not accurate he has every right to return the horn. If hyperbole was used to say an instrument is fantastic, perfect, minty , whatever, and the buyer disagrees, than according to ebay they have a legitimate right to return whether a return policy is offered or not. This also applies to undisclosed damage, missing parts etc.

Again, I have no idea of the particulars of this purchase but I see nothing wrong in informing the buyer that he has rights he may be unaware of. Whether they apply in this case is up to him.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,010 Posts
As others have suggested, I don’t think it’s reasonable to return items unless misrepresented. It’s not reasonable to return something that just doesn’t meet your ideal of the Holy Grail horn or mouthpiece. It’s a big pain, time killer, cost and risk to be shipping our valued horns back and forth for no good reason. I’ve had a couple people here return a horn and mouthpieces for what I thought were unrealistic expectations. Listings were honest, pictures detailed and yet I got the dreaded return request. Of course I sucked it up as I don’t want anyone to feel mistreated and male damaging comments. In the case of the one horn (a beautiful silver plated Buescher or Conn stencil) that was “ever” returned, I resold it for more money and the buyer was thrilled with the horn in every way and plays it every day. I think it would be nice if buyers viewed individuals like myself differently than Walmart and assumed a little personal responsibility when making a purchase.

·
28,919 Posts
If the buyer purchased based on claims that he feels were not accurate he has every right to return the horn.
You are quite right, but here it seems to be a case of just "not liking the saxophone."

(Personally I would allow a return at buyers expense, but that's the law where I currently live)

Interesting point would be if the seller had said in the ad :" you will love this saxophone" and then, if you don't, is it "not as described?"

·
28,919 Posts
Interesting point would be if the seller had said in the ad :" you will love this saxophone" and then, if you don't, is it "not as described?"
Or:

I bought a killer mouthpiece, but I'm still alive. can I return it please?

The paint is staying on my walls, I'm sending the mouthpiece back.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
I picked up a sax, didn't like it and when I tried to return it the seller refused? weird. Never expected that. Thats changed completely. K
Did you offer to eat all the fees and shipping expenses? As a seller, I wouldn't offer a "satisfaction guarantee" - too many chances for someone to damage an instrument and then claim they don't like it.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Or:

In general, advertising statements that can be classified as "puffery" are not deemed falsifiable and do not give rise to claims of factual misrepresentation. So, a buyer who simply doesn't like a sax does not have a complaint against the seller for saying, "You'll love it!"

·
Registered
918 Posts
EBay auctions are, IMNSHO, a waste for both sellers and buyers. The highest selling fees for the sale of items. And for buyers: if you “win” the item, you just agreed to pay more for it than anyone else in the world thought it was worth.

Great place to sell things with easily hidden flaws, or as a last resort for off-loading things not selling locally or to knowledgeable buyers. (How many times do you read the seller statement “last call before it goes on eBay?”) And maybe it’s an easy place to research comparable sale prices. That’s about it.

·
28,919 Posts
Interesting point would be if the seller had said in the ad :" you will love this saxophone" and then, if you don't, is it "not as described?" Or:

In general, advertising statements that can be classified as "puffery" are not deemed falsifiable and do not give rise to claims of factual misrepresentation. So, a buyer who simply doesn't like a sax does not have a complaint against the seller for saying, "You'll love it!"
I think maybe you missed the tongue in the cheek!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts