Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I've been playing a YAS-62II for about a year now with my Meyer 5m and la Voz medium hard reeds. I was just wondering what mouthpieces and reeds other YAS-62II players play on.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Vandoren V16 medium chamber - I like the 6, 8, and 9 the best.

Also, a modern rubber Link - 7*

Vandoren blue box 3 1/2

That's on a 62 original, with its original neck. G1 is in the mail - I'll let you know if the neck changes my mpc choices.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,207 Posts
I think you will find you can play just about anything on a YAS-6211 !!!

Here are my experiments

1) Meyer 6m, too breathy and soft
2) Selmer c* lovely buzzy tone, but lacks edge or bite
3) Yani Metal 6, very bright and cutting, ideal for rock or pop, and faster stuff. Fizzy as well
4) Jody Jazz HR5, my current fave, just the right mix of soft/bright, and open enough to allow some expression
5) SR Technologies Legend .85, Fantastic "widescreen" sound, more of everything, but a tad too open for me at this stage. Coming back to it soon though.
6) Vandoren A27, Buzzy and soft, boring
7) Yamaha 4C, actually quite fun to play when your mouth hurts and you just want to get some scales down, neighbour friendly.

I have just realised how much I have spent on all these, I must get round to selling some.......

All with Rico Royals 2.5. You can hear some of these mouthpieces on my youtube page, the most recent two are with the Jody. The shadow of your smile is with the yani metal 6, just about takes your head off.

I have a silver Yamaha, FWIW. This is a statement, so that you can decide if it makes any difference. INMHO it doesnt, but please dont get into all that!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,571 Posts

I have been playing my ebonite D6* Miami Dukoff on my silver 62 and have been quite pleased to say the least. The Dukoff was not so good on my 54 or on my B&S 2001.

I have to say I am really liking my Silver YTS 62 with a G1. It is a really complete sax. A bit vanilla but I like it.

HUTMO

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
A nice merlot from California.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
fballatore said:
A nice merlot from California.
Bah, Merlots--I spit them out.
Malbec, definitely Malbec, from Argentina.

My old teacher ( he must be REALLY old by now ) played a selmer short shank D for classical.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,207 Posts
hakukani said:

My old teacher ( he must be REALLY old by now ) played a selmer short shank D for classical.
Over here we use Malbec for adding to spaghetti bolognese. I would say a nice bottle of Brunello di Montalcino, preferably drunk in the courtyard at Montalcino. I can picture it now, glass in one hand, YAS-62 in the other. Wife somewhere in-between

·
Registered
92 Posts
Got a chance to play one this weekend, and I liked my Otto Link Metal NY 6* more than the HR Link. Gives the horn a lot of character.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
hakukani said:

You'd spit Petrus? Sacrilege!!

And a nice light Alsatian Gewurtz would work much better with a Yamaha, depending on the sauce, of course.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
saintsday said:
You'd spit Petrus? Sacrilege!!

And a nice light Alsatian Gewurtz would work much better with a Yamaha, depending on the sauce, of course.
If we're talking the same Petrus (the Bordeaux), it is a blend as are all Bordeauxs.

Crazy, I'd be looking for a bottle of Trapiche. Got a 95 in the Spectator. I wouldn't be putting that in my Marinara or my Bolognese. ;)

You'd need a pretty high tannin Cabernet Savignon to stand up to my YBS-62.

·
5,183 Posts
crazydaisydoo said:
I would have thought a yamaha was considered too bland to go with a gewurtz?? Surely better for somthing more spicy?;)
If it works with turkey, it will work with a Yamaha.

·
5,183 Posts
hakukani said:
If we're talking the same Petrus (the Bordeaux), it is a blend as are all Bordeauxs.

Crazy, I'd be looking for a bottle of Trapiche. Got a 95 in the Spectator. I wouldn't be putting that in my Marinara or my Bolognese. ;)

You'd need a pretty high tannin Cabernet Savignon to stand up to my YBS-62.
Pomerols and Petrus in particular are almost pure merlot, unlike the left bank wines. http://www.terroirs-france.com/vin/petrus.html . 95% is the number most often quoted although some years it is essentially pure merlot. If I remember correctly '82s were that way.

Bring that bari to Cleveland and we'll see how an '82 Latour stands up to it.;)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
My favorite of all the Bordeaux is the St. Estephe.

Cos d'Estournel.... yum (last one I had was a '80).

I haven't had a Latour since the late 70s. I would never spit out a Pomerol, especially if it's an old one, a first growth is a first growth. It's the California pretenders that I can't stand.

My bari will stand up to a Latour, for sure. The drummer in my band loves it when we do 'Down the Drain' and I'm honkin' out those low As. Plenty testicularity.

·
5,183 Posts
hakukani said:
My favorite of all the Bordeaux is the St. Estephe.

Cos d'Estournel.... yum (last one I had was a '80).
I'm with you on the California grape juice that is sold as merlot. I've had some stunning Zinfandels and Cabs from California, but the best of the merlots I've tried from there were pretty bland.

Bring on that bari. I know I have some '82 and '83 Cos buried around here that need drinking up. That and Montrose are the only St. Estephes that I've much liked but my prime wino days are long past. The purer cabernet of a good Pauillac is my price no object choice, but maybe the best wine I've ever had was a '76 Y'Quem. Completely amazing liquid gold and even better than the '83 that I bought to drink on my son's 21st birthday after a couple bottles of Margaux.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Merlot is currently as to wine as Sugal was to mouthpieces 5 years ago. You'll all move on once you realize they're not all that great. Just different. (Trust me. I bought a sugal once and drank more merlot than I should have before I wised up.)
Mmmmmmm....malbec.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
saintsday said:
I'm with you on the California grape juice that is sold as merlot. I've had some stunning Zinfandels and Cabs from California, but the best of the merlots I've tried from there were pretty bland.

Bring on that bari. I know I have some '82 and '83 Cos buried around here that need drinking up. That and Montrose are the only St. Estephes that I've much liked but my prime wino days are long past. The purer cabernet of a good Pauillac is my price no object choice, but maybe the best wine I've ever had was a '76 Y'Quem. Completely amazing liquid gold and even better than the '83 that I bought to drink on my son's 21st birthday after a couple bottles of Margaux.
You're right about the Y'Quem. Had a glass of the '66 many years ago.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts