Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ive just gotten a Saxxas WINSLOW style lig...thanks Krys!!!

I'm impressed!!! its very versatile its the only lig ive EVER found that can handle a Master Link(a bit hard to match a lig to,as they are a hair fatter than a STM) as well as a Guardala(we all know how hard it is to find the RIGHT lig for your Guardala!!),thats quite a large span!!!! Of course i LOVE:love34: customability..so I'm ready to see if I can tweek the sound further.....

it has the feet in all corners and i have to say the tone is very "hollow"...im finding it hard to choose the right words..but I mean that in a good way...its as if its resonating like a violin/guitar body that is hollow....

ill refer to the feet position like the keys on a telephone

so the feet are at 1,3,7 and 9 now

i would imagine that a link,fl,theowanne enlightened would be 1,4,7 3,6,9 as the side of the reed plate clamp down the reed it might be good to throw in 5 to assimilate the pressure coming straight down from the stem

now i would think of a rovner leather lig as 123 and 789 as the leather bands press down in two rows against the reed

what would a 2 screw...like a selmer 402 be???

what do you all use???

anybody use all 9???

also any tips on installing or uninstalling the feet??? with the tool being as big as it is,im figuring it is easier to get the more inward feet on if the outer ones are removed

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
Re: what feet position do you use with your HARRISON or SAXXAS ligature???

pretty sure a 2 screw configuration would still be 1,2,3,7,8,9

·
Registered
234 Posts

do you mean Winslow? If so, I like the 1379 combo. Works very well for me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts

Every Harrison I have had is not variable. Did you bend it or something?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oops....yes I meant Winslow

thanx west coast...have you experimented with other positions???

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've been moving around between
AND

I feel that putting one directly in the middle (5) gives me a little more resistance, and also removes a little of the higher harmonics from the sound...

This is just how I feel about it... I have compared this with other saxophone players, who can't hear a single difference, so it is more about feel.

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,793 Posts
7,9 works well for me on my RPC tenor m/p. Adjust the Saxxas lig forward and backward a little to see what spot gives you the best tone. And the pressure of the 4 points can be adjusted to make a little difference. Not too tight or loose.

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
I use 1379 on sop sax, with cane reeds. On Alto and Bari, I use 138 with 13 being towards the tip, with Fibracells. Dont use one on tenor.

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,793 Posts
Just enough so that the rivets or circular plates are just off the lig a little. Never real tight because it adds too much pressure on the reed.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my reeds got round black scars on it!!!! but i gotta tighten as much as possible because I'm using the stm link size lig...I'm ready for the proper one for my guardala...who knows ....maybe it wont sound the same!!!! i cant experiment forward and back because theres really only one spot where the lig works

13 8 sounds like something to experiment with!!! i like the individuality of the 1379 position and have jut left it there....i imagine that putting the 5 in will make it play more like my FL or enlightened...and the difference i feel between one of those and the saxxas in 1379 is pretty much what you described BPSAX

wow you can adjust the stiffness of the feet too...I didnt know that!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
With Saxxas ligature, you discover as much as you want, it is quite a versatile instrument in itself:

Over this past weekend, I explored various feet position with following comments (used Gerber Slant HR Mouthpiece):

1379: Free Blowing and always a good starting point
1358: Woody Feel, reeds vibrate very well and gives a big sound like Houston Person & Stanley
13579: Takes away free blowing character but allows you to shape tone, adds more mids in tone
147369: This is my current set-up on Tenor and it gives warm sound, weight on tones and more control

Surprisingly, choice of screw made significant difference as well:
Round Screw: Heavier & Meatier Sound, More Richness to sound with resonance
Flat Screw: Lighter Sound, More Free blowing and adds upper mids to tones

Anyone, got similar tonal experiences with Saxxas?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
I usually use the 1,3,7,9 configuration, but I have experimented with the 2,5,8 configuration down the middle. It's a bit more free blowing that way, but much harder to adjust.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts