Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to get some cds of Miles Davis, but I know that he has a LOT.
There are a lot of progressive or experimental stages of Miles Davis, but I rather listen to a more traditional Miles Davis, I dunno really.
I like his recordings in the late 40's through early 60's, after that, I'm not really familiar with his works.

·
Registered
496 Posts
All of miles is very interesting. I have to say I have listened to "Kind of Blue" thousands of times. But I can listen to it anytime and hear something fresh in it. Bitches Brew was a great album as well. Miles was very innovative and kept up with the times. He has some much good stuff it's hard to pinpoint it. Where in South Texas are you? I'm also in South Texas.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Kind of Blue is one of my favorite jazz albums. It's not just that Miles played great on it, but that he created a framework so the other musicians could play great as well - and they did. Another from the same era that shows some wonderful playing by Miles is the Cannonball Adderley album "Somethin' Else".

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kind of Blue was the very first album that I actually bought.
I always listen back to it occasionally.
Oh yeah, I'm from Southmost Texas, which would be Brownsville.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My favorite Miles Era is the 2nd quintet. Miles was beyond alot of guys in his own subtle harmonic and melodic way.

Like ESP. Tremendous trumpet work on that album. Check out his ollllddd blues recordings like Bluing, and Down, Green Haze (strain of marijuana maybe? heh heh), etc

Miles' foundation was deep in Lester, not the licks, but the cadence, and harmonically Miles was definitely advanced.

·
Registered
315 Posts
WEll the second quintet is very good,VERY good. THe first quintet isVERY GOOD. It depends on what your going for. "Miles smiles " is very good, I would also reccomend "Neffertitti," or even "Filles de killamanjaro." But, there is also the orchestrated cds he did with Gil Evans. "Sketches of spain," or "Miles Ahead." You can NEVER forget about "Birth of the cool." If you like the electronic orientated stuff, "Filles.." is very good. Another that is very amazing is "In a silent way."

If your looking for quartet based stuff "miles smiles," "Neffertitti" are some of my favorites. "ESP," is pretty incredible.

I had a record store that was two cds for twenty dollars. In the span of a couple months, and 28 cds later.....

·
Registered
711 Posts
I prefer his first quintet stuff over his second. Not because it's better or worse, just a musical preference. With that being said, I have the Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel on right now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
I like Miles Davis in every configuration of groups that he had and not just the "classic quintet" everybody is nostalgic over.
Miles with Coltrane ..classic, Miles earlier works with Sonny Rollins and Bird..classic, Miles piano groups..classic, Kind of Blue ..double classic.
My all time favorite has to be electric Miles and his freer sides where he stops critiqueing the Avant Garde or Free Jazzers and does it himself..that is Miles.
People most of the time love his trumpet styles but i dug every group he organised because he chose the best and then it pushed him to work harder
For great performances.. that is classic Miles and his modus operandi and as a Gemini there was no room for errors or accidents most times.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
I like Miles when he plays trumpet.

·
Banned
864 Posts
The second quintet is definitely the best. Miles, Wayne, Herbie, Ron and Tony. It doesn't get any better than that. Indeed, to me that group's output always represented the height of jazz's trajectory as an art form, coming right before it would begin it's long, slow descent into death. And I think it was even more significant in this way than Trane's output from the same period, because it was still accessible to a fairly wide audience.

My favorite album from that period is Sorcerer.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I like the transitional quintet - Live at the Blackhawk recordings with Wynton Kelly and Hank Mobley. Also like the early 50's recordings with Parker on tenor playing Half Nelson, Old Milestones, Little Willie Leaps etc...

·
Registered
611 Posts
While I'd go with any one that Miles play trumpet on... you should just mine everything. My personal bias is Bitches Brew because it's those bands I first saw live at Fillmore. You shouldn't over look, Milestones, Miles in the Sky and In a Silent Way. There is no best... it was all the best. However there was a period in the mid '70s there where his health was not so good and he played more keyboard than horn in live situations. Not so hot for me... but his bands still killed it.

Somebody gave me two really expensive box sets of Early Miles... they said it was too jazzy... I think they were hoping for more of Kind of Blue and were disappointed. All that stuff is golden.

I got to see Miles a few times in the '90s when Kenny Garrett was with him, he was way into playing again and his chops were working. He was smiling, joking and playing with the audience... it was some of the best stuff I have ever seen... the baddest rhythm sections ever. Does anybody know if those last groups are recorded or on DVD?

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I would say the decade of, from the "Something Else" recording (which is actually under Cannonball's name) in 1958 [same years, I believe, as Porgy and Bess and Ascenseur Pour L'Echafaud] to 1968, the time of Files De Killimanjaro.

As far as your own discography, I would say that you must include "Kind of Blue" and "Porgy and Bess". I also highly recommend "Four & More" from a live Carnegie Hall concert.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,880 Posts
My favorites are his albums in the quintet with Wayne Shorter. Those albums definitely influenced jazz into a much more harmonically rich direction. I love Shorter's compositions, I think they are THE main innovation in these records.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
I really love the stuff with George Coleman....also love Bags Groove and Dig with Sonny, all the prestige stuff Cookin, Relaxin....with Trane. Should also mention Friday night , Saturday night in Person with Hank Mobley.
Although I do think Kind of Blue is a great, must own album, I may have over done it by listening to it too much.

There really isn't too much Miles that I don't like and I think he is one of the greatest figures in the history of this music.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
His entire career is full of incredible music but the week he recorded Sketches of Spain is my favorite era.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
+1000
the second quintet is very good,VERY good. THe first quintet isVERY GOOD. It depends on what your going for. "Miles smiles " is very good, I would also reccomend "Neffertitti," or even "Filles de killamanjaro." But, there is also the orchestrated cds he did with Gil Evans. "Sketches of spain," or "Miles Ahead." You can NEVER forget about "Birth of the cool." If you like the electronic orientated stuff, "Filles.." is very good. Another that is very amazing is "In a silent way."
I know what your asking, but talking about favorite Miles era is almost blasphemous to me. His output is so consistently creative and amazing it's astounding. From those first sessions with Bird on tenor right into the 70's he created a lot of memorable music. And later too, but not as consistent....

Favorite? Impossible. I listen to the second quintet quite a bit, but really all the stuff is great. Depends on what mood I'm in, I guess. Kind of Blue gets pretty heavy rotation, as does Milestones. But Files De Kilimanjaro and In a Silent Way are masterpieces too.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts