Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago My biggest regret was selling a Metal Florda Link Bari MPC. Should never of done it!!! Thought I could find better - never did. Too Late now.

What have you regretted selling?

Charlie

·
Registered
853 Posts
Sometimes I regret selling my SS Berg 105/3. Even if I had it though, I wouldn't be playing it with any regularity. It had qualities I haven't quite been able to find in other mpc's. My Barone T/C comes close enough though.

-Dan

·
Registered
552 Posts
My guardala Branford Marsalis alto mouthpiece ,and my refaced Florida link tenor mouthpiece

But to be honest there are more things that I regret not buying .

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
I let go a Leblanc (Paris) System tenor sax, bought in 1968. I was too immature to understand what a fine horn it was; I felt short-changed because a band director (who likely got a kickback on the deal) talked me into it instead of a Mark VI. And yet it was a superb instrument. I wish I still had it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've sold so much stuff over the last couple of years. a couple summers ago I sold 18 mouthpieces, including a NY Meyer 7 for alto. I have sold two Rast soloists that I wish I kept.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
I regret selling time. What a maroon I've been!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Grumps said:
None of it.
It had to go and I'm better for it.
Really good theory. Don't look back with regret, look forward with great anticipation. I'm not sure who said that, if anyone, but it sounds good to me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
Not sax-related, but I sold an old Hofner Club 40 electric guitar for £30 to buy a wedding ring. Worth hundreds now. It's a shame, but wouldn't my wife look silly with a guitar hanging from her finger?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I haven't actually managed to sell any saxes yet - just buy them - so my contribution will have to be the 1962 Fender Jazzmaster.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
My regrets...

A 1920's silver plated Martin Bass Sax sold for - $250
A 1960's low A 'DABICO' Baritone Sax sold for - $ 100
A 1950's Martin 'The Martin' Tenor Sax sold for - $ 250
A 1960's Buffet / Evette Clarinet sold for - $ 125

Also, I was once persuaded to 'trade' to a mouthpiece dealer, 2 vintage Otto Link Tenor Sax mouthpieces (one was a 'Master Link' - the other a very old 'Tonemaster') to get two 'modern' mouthpieces (a metal Berg and a Brilhart) that I did not like once I got them.

Oops...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,156 Posts
I've lost track, but probably the B&S Medusa, Yam 82Z, and Yani 992 altos would be high on this list.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,243 Posts
As a poor student I sold my old Berg Larsen 95/1 rubber tenor mpc.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,617 Posts
I have plenty of regrets
I have sold and traded 3 ny usa meyer altos .(not that I liked them that much but the value skyrocketed on them after I sold them)sold a blue jumbo java a45 that was a real player and never could find another that played just like it . I still look for them ...
bd dukoff 1945 brass tenor 5* that played like butter.shouldnt have let that one get away .it was mint .also had a the martin alto that was mint. my mom sold it when i was at college mistakenly thought that was the horn i was trying to sell. the horn she was supposed to sell was a student reynolds tenor . she felt bad and I never made a fuss about that .sale price was 160.00 .also I screwed up when I sold a king super 20 tenor 411*** that played like a cannon .that time I needed the money so I kind of had to sell but I wish I had that one back . Im happy with the gear I have and truthfully sound about the same with any horn or mouthpiece but I still wish I had these items back .

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I haven't sold much equipment. But I regret selling my troubadour I could of spent a lot more time on it then I did, and it had the power but I wanted instant gratification. Shame.
1932 Martin Handcraft Troubadour can't remember the serial number. But I sold it and got a clarinet and it helped me get my Yani. Its tough, but I would like to buy one after college.
And you guys told me I would regret it, I hate it when your right.:shock: :shock:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
A Made in France Vito tenor for pretty cheap to a high school grad who wanted a horn to take to college.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts