Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,887 Posts
This is the part that Pete and I were responding to. He does start out with some simple shakes,
AKA vibrato.

Yes, the last bit is one of his signature effects using false fingerings

·
28,887 Posts
I can now tell you exactly what he is doing.

The shakes are exagerated vibrato (down to almost a minor 3rd) but with a G false fingering included in the longer ones. The passage at the end of the intro is a typical bostic one with false fingerings.

He is probably fingering the open G with his LH 4 on the C, which makes the false G (= C fingering 2nd harmonic to sound the same G) very easy by just alternating the LH1,2 and 3

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
After listening to some of the stuff on the Pete Thomas cd i really think he has that Bostic vibe, probably not as agressive as the real deal, but there none the less...take care and try not to get eaten by those lions tomorrow!

·
28,887 Posts
After listening to some of the stuff on the Pete Thomas cd i really think he has that Bostic vibe, probably not as agressive as the real deal, but there none the less...take care and try not to get eaten by those lions tomorrow!
Thank you.

The only big ferocious things are lynxes and wolves. I'm more scared of the otters.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Great thread!

You can see why a brilliant technical master like Bostic was so revered and admired by other sax players! How he must have hated the term "R&B honker."

Reactions: Pete Thomas

·
Registered
Selmer Mk VI tenor, Selmer Mk VI alto, Yamaha soprano
3 Posts
I think it's a matter of using alternate fingerings rather than an actual articulation technique.
To my ears Bostic used alternate fingerings along with his wide vibrato and growl to create what can only be called the "Bostic sound." He made the alto sound like a tenor sax because of his fat warm tone.

·
28,887 Posts
To my ears Bostic used alternate fingerings along with his wide vibrato and growl
See above, I’ve already linked to a transcription with explanation of the false fingerings he is using

·
Registered
3 Posts
See above, I’ve already linked to a transcription with explanation of the false fingerings he is using
Many thanks, I just joined yesterday and didn't perform due diligence before commenting.. Bostic is of particular interest to me and I have created a website about him, the aptly named earlbostic.com

·
28,887 Posts
Many thanks, I just joined yesterday and didn't perform due diligence before commenting.. Bostic is of particular interest to me and I have created a website about him, the aptly named earlbostic.com
Congrats on the site, if you want to use my short transciption and analysis above let me know.

NB: BUT your site is not secure, nor is it compliant with being responsive on mobile etc. so will be penalised on Google. I'd be happy to help you with that. Please message me if interested.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pete, many thanks for your offer to help. I was frankly astounded nobody had reserved earlbostic.com and grabbed it. I was turned on to Earl in the '80s by Fred Patterson, who is a friend but also a serious musicologist and the archivist for the Archive of Recorded Music (arcmusic.org) and as a player I have specialized in attempting the "Bostic sound," and I have tried a tenor reed on my Beechler mouthpiece (hard rubber) and it works, a darker sound.
Please do explain why earlbostic.com isn't secure. I build my sites myself with barebones HTML code I learned years ago. (You can also explain how to message you privately, and delete this).
Marty

1 - 17 of 17 Posts