Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I know this is a dumb question but :baby:

Often when reading post people suggest fingerings (often for altissimo) with these kind of symbols Try XOO (I recall even seeing '-') what is the "standard" interpretations for these 3 signs (are there others I should be aware?).

Thank you.

P.S. Had I saw such a post for a fingerings I knew I would have correlate the 'Xs' and 'Os' (what is that '-' though?!).

·
Registered
299 Posts
X = key is pushed down
O = key is open

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
Left hand group is on the left - right hand group on the right.
xoo xoo means forked Bb - both index fingers down.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!

Now is the Front-F represented? Or is it always pressed for altissimo? I typically see only 3 symbols whereas I would have expected 4 or 5 (bis key)

Were the - I saw once or twice typos or do they means something specific?

Thanks again!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,947 Posts
Thank you!

Now is the Front-F represented? Or is it always pressed for altissimo? I typically see only 3 symbols whereas I would have expected 4 or 5 (bis key)
I would use an extra X or 0

So top F is X|OXO|OOO

It's a very rough and ready way to show fingereings, and not meant to be comprehensive, it can't be.

No, the F aux is not always pressed for every altissimo note.

I have a altissimo fingering chart here:

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-altissimo.html

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,025 Posts
So top F is X|OXO|OOO

It's a very rough and ready way to show fingereings, and not meant to be comprehensive, it can't be.
Another way you might see top F fingering notated: front F, OXO/OOO. And sometimes to be more comprehensive, "ok" will be added to indicate using the octave key. There are lots of different ways to notate fingerings.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I would use an extra X or 0

So top F is X|OXO|OOO

No, the F aux is not always pressed for every altissimo note.

I have a altissimo fingering chart here:

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-altissimo.html
Thank you! Silly me no '-' but '|' to separate the stacks!

All make sense now :) Thank you for the link I am going to check it out!

Still having a hard time just sounding F# on my YAS-23 :( Only way I manage is chromatically and even then it is more "multiphonic in the wrong way" than clear [rolleyes] Still working on overtones... my guess is if have a hard time with the F#3 then it is hopeless higher up for now.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Thank you! Silly me no '-' but '|' to separate the stacks!

All make sense now :) Thank you for the link I am going to check it out!

Still having a hard time just sounding F# on my YAS-23 :( Only way I manage is chromatically and even then it is more "multiphonic in the wrong way" than clear [rolleyes] Still working on overtones... my guess is if have a hard time with the F#3 then it is hopeless higher up for now.
Play high fork f (x|oxo|ooo) and add the side Bb key, without change the air. Try going back and forth, until you become familiar with the feeling of F#.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Play high fork f (x|oxo|ooo) and add the side Bb key, without change the air. Try going back and forth, until you become familiar with the feeling of F#.
Thank you for the suggestion but I have yet another silly question (I am good with those!):

Fork F? Is this the palm F or the Front F? I don't see how to press the Front F and not the first key (B). You wrote X|0X0 but I would have thought X|XX0 or is there something I am missing?

Again thanks you the enlightenment :)

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
I like to call the note "Front F" rather than "Fork F" which to me is an oboe fingering.:bluewink:

Here is my suggestion:

- Play high C with a solid clear tone at f.

- Then add the "Front F" key with the first finger (X|OXO|OOO) and at the same time give the airstream a sudden burst of fast cold air.

- Practice sustaining the high F played with the "Front F" as a long tone till it feels solid. Remember to keep the dynamic at f

- When the high F with this fingering is solid, then practice adding the side Bb key to produce high F#. A solid high F should go easily to a high F#.

- When you can play high F# with confidence you have cracked the door open that leads to the higher altissimo range.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again for the advice!

Happy to know that F# is indeed the keeper of at the gate. My Front-F version of E is not 100% steady yet, I have a hard time to tongue it. X|0XX

BTW now that I have my sax in my hands I realise how silly my question regarding X|0X vs X|XX was :p Is the Front-F to be pressed with the tip of the first finger or with the side knuckle tilting while fingering the "b"?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is the knowledge which comes from having a daughter.....
That's why I missed it! I have 2 sons :D

Try this fingering for F#3; I find it very reliable and stable:

XOX/XOO +Eb key. (With the octave key pressed of course)
Thank you I will try it, is it one that for alto or tenor? (too late for me to try tonight family is asleep :( )

So far I haven't had much success on my alto (YAS-23 with JJ HR 6 with Java 2.5 or ZZ 3). On the tenor I rented I finally have consistent success using the front-F X0X0/X00 and side Bb. Quite happy of the breakthrough! :mrgreen: I am using a JJ HR 7* on the tenor with RJS 3M.

That rental has an F# key but I find I prefer the front-f altissimo fingerings, I am not used to that F# key and find it awkward. Trying to get a feel for it I have been practicing B scale arpeggios and the front-f is easier to me compared to the palm F + F# key.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts