Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought he played a mk6 with a dukoff but recently on snl I saw him playing this
View attachment 235590
Is this a black shadow?

·
Registered
867 Posts
I'm confident in saying that he's been playing the same Berg Larsen mouthpiece for decades. One with a SMS facing, his MK VI tenor I believe has a s/n in the 200,000 range.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm confident in saying that he's been playing the same Berg Larsen mouthpiece for decades. One with a SMS facing, his MK VI tenor I believe has a s/n in the 200,000 range.
My mistake, Im just more wondering what hes playing in the picture and if its replacing his mark 6. I feel like its a JK SX90 black shadow

·
Registered
671 Posts
As far as I know, I agree. The picture looks like his Selmer and definitely a Stainless Berg. Could just be the lighting in the picture. I never heard of him playing a dukoff. I have an old Windplayer magazine from years ago that states he always played a Stainless steel Berg, 130/0 that he had been playing for 20 years (at that time with a Vandoren 2.5 classic reed) His Markvi was made in 69 or 70 (according to Windplayer article)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
As far as I know, I agree. The picture looks like his Selmer and definitely a Stainless Berg. Could just be the lighting in the picture. I never heard of him playing a dukoff. I have an old Windplayer magazine from years ago that states he always played a Stainless steel Berg, 130/0 that he had been playing for 20 years (at that time with a Vandoren 2.5 classic reed) His Markvi was made in 69 or 70 (according to Windplayer article)
With a bass clarinet reed if I recall correctly.
I clearly Recollect reading in an interview, probably from around the year 2000 that he was playing Rico orange box 3.5 reeds and that he pretty much used a new one up with each performance.

I also remember him saying that he found some parking garage to practice in where he wouldn’t bother anybody with all of his hours and hours of practicing altissimo, and that developing the Altissimo was a natural direction to go to competing with electric guitars and other amplified instrumentsl

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,792 Posts
Altissimo was a natural direction to go to competing with electric guitars and other amplified instrumentsl
Same thing with Marc Russo. In this interview he was asked about his use of the altissimo range. He said that he was playing in a Disco club band in the 70's and had to use it a lot to play over the stage volume (often w/o monitors) of the electric instruments;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mApDI4EW5Ho

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,003 Posts
Last time I saw him talk about his setup, within the last couple of years, he was using vandoren blue box bass clarinet reeds which he clips to suit the tip of his mouthpiece, and has done so for years

1 - 9 of 9 Posts