Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been thinking of my own phrases and licks when I was listening to smooth jazz songs.

What does that mean?

By the way, I also do it in my sleep while I listen to any smooth jazz song.
This may sound silly but its true.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Sounds pretty cool to me. If you can put the licks on your horn, move them though a bunch of keys, and use them in improvisation - then it's ALL GOOD.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,502 Posts
Dobby says keep a voice recorder nearby and record your licks and then transpose them later. I have been doing this for years.

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Dobby says keep a voice recorder nearby and record your licks and then transpose them later. I have been doing this for years.

B
+1.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds pretty cool to me. If you can put the licks on your horn, move them though a bunch of keys, and use them in improvisation - then it's ALL GOOD.
Been there, Done that.

I think it's fun.

I learned one lick in 6 different keys back in April/May.
I could'nt learn it in 12 keys b/c i didn't have the time to do it.

I can also play scales with sharps or flats.
But my horn doesn't have a high F# key, but I am trying to note bend a high palm F key note by maintaining a tight embouchure.

I want to learn the very fast licks Grover Washington jr plays.- To fully learn them, I play the song, then I try to slow them down in my head.
His music is a motivation.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,589 Posts
Been there, Done that.

I think it's fun.

I learned one lick in all 6 keys back in April/May.

I want to learn the very fast licks Grover Washington jr plays.- To fully learn them, I play the song, then I try to slow them down in my head.
His music is a motivation.
Self-deleted. Should have just ignored.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
Lately I've been thinking of my own phrases and licks when I was listening to smooth jazz songs.

What does that mean?

By the way, I also do it in my sleep while I listen to any smooth jazz song.
This may sound silly but its true.
If I started channeling smooth jazz in my dreams, I'd be afraid to go to sleep.

Watch out if you start jonesin' for a new sop and a hair perm!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
If I started channeling smooth jazz in my dreams, I'd be afraid to go to sleep.

Watch out if you start jonesin' for a new sop and a hair perm!
OR an old sop and a hair perm.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are only 6 keys? What have I been doing all these years??? :faceinpalm:

Seriously though. How many notes are in a chromatic scale? That is how many keys there are. Plus add two for the enharmonics (Gb=F#, Db=C#).

Those, "fast licks that Grover Washington Jr plays" were once upon a time those mis-shapen ideas that Grover Washington Jr practiced at a slow tempo. Increasing ever so gradually until they became fast licks that he could pull out of his bag of tricks on any tune at any tempo in any key (all six of them, as it were...). No, I didn't know GW Jr, but I bet he practiced right to the end. :bluewink:
I do what he exactly does, I practice at a slow tempo first, then I start playing it faster after a few tries.

There are about 12 key pitches in a chromatic scale, genius! [rolleyes]

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,023 Posts
There are about 12 key pitches in a chromatic scale, genius! [rolleyes]
You mentioned 'all 6 keys.' There are 12 keys.

What does it mean when you come up with licks after listening to smooth jazz? Who knows what it means? Is it supposed to mean something? I'm unclear on what exactly you are looking for here.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,589 Posts

What does it mean when you come up with licks after listening to smooth jazz? Who knows what it means? Is it supposed to mean something? I'm unclear on what exactly you are looking for here.
I was getting at the 12 keys thing with my earlier post as well...Guess I missed something because I was called a genius in a sarcastic way.

This kid posts on here every couple of weeks looking for some kind of validation...I don't always understand the questions either.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Licks are phrases that you play in music

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are only 6 keys? What have I been doing all these years??? :faceinpalm:

Seriously though. How many notes are in a chromatic scale? That is how many keys there are. Plus add two for the enharmonics (Gb=F#, Db=C#).

Those, "fast licks that Grover Washington Jr plays" were once upon a time those mis-shapen ideas that Grover Washington Jr practiced at a slow tempo. Increasing ever so gradually until they became fast licks that he could pull out of his bag of tricks on any tune at any tempo in any key (all six of them, as it were...). No, I didn't know GW Jr, but I bet he practiced right to the end. :bluewink:
You mean GW jr never practiced the licks and he just played them fast???

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I meant 6 keys out of the all 12 keys.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,023 Posts
Licks are phrases that you play in music
Yes, and the sun rises in the east. I know what a lick is. What does that have to do with your question about what it means when you come up with licks? I'm just trying to find out what you are asking us.

Maybe it's a language issue, or writing problem?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts