Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
I'm a bit confused, if it's a technique you have a name for, then doesn't that mean you know what it is. It would be good to link to the actual position in the video.

But this may be it:

https://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-dooden-tonguing

This is where instead of removing your tongue to articulate the sound, you leave it at the tip of the reed blocking the gap between reed and mouthpiece, but with such little pressure that some air leaks past your tongue.

So instead of a clean tuh as articulation, it's more of a sustained thuh

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
II just read in the comments of that video , they talk about «*half tongue*»...

Well, yes, it must be what is described in your link ,Pete, it is a song of David Sanborn...🤙

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Ask twenty players for their definition of "half tongue" and you'll get twenty one different answers!

Believe it or not, another technique I sometime use is to move my tongue OVER the tip of the mouthpiece. It kinda-sorta gives a tonguing effect, but obviously not a direct tonguing of the reed as we usually do it. Plus, the chicks dig it.

;-)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
Ask twenty players for their definition of "half tongue" and you'll get twenty one different answers!

Believe it or not, another technique I sometime use is to move my tongue OVER the tip of the mouthpiece. It kinda-sorta gives a tonguing effect, but obviously not a direct tonguing of the reed as we usually do it. Plus, the chicks dig it.

;-)
You employ a lot of kweif tonguing, ja ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts