Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
I did a duo with a local drummer yesterday and that was a blast. We're going to try and play out like that. I wrote some stuff for it and streched some standards too. Much fun.

·
Forum Contributor 2010 / RIP
1,363 Posts
I can't believe I got to this before Gary!

Here's what "Burnout" looks like! :D

View attachment 3723

·
Registered
74 Posts
I suggest a NLP technique. Remember a time when you were at your best. Where were you, what song were playing, what were you wearing? Try to feel all the sensory experiences associated with that moment. When your mind tells you can't; ask "Why not."

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Hey all,
Just wanted to discuss what I'm (musically) going through right now and hear from anyone who can empathize with me and give me some sound suggestions on how to handle what I think is "musical burn-out"

First, I have been playing saxophone for over 35 years and in all of those years I've either been in a school band or a gigging band. I've recently started to buy backing tracks with the idea of doing my own gigs when gigs with the bands I play with are slow. I have played duos and trips before, so playing the solo gig is not a far reach.

I've been shedding on the solo with backing tracks for about 5 to 7 hours a day, 6 days a week for 1 1/2months and I'd say within the last two weeks, I just have lost my motivation to do the work...I don't know what to make of it. I have about 68 songs that I am currently fine tuning. Today, practice was terrible. It's like I was just going through the motions. My solos sucked...If anyone can share their experiences with this and possible solutions, I'd be most appreciative.

My first thought was to take a few days off and come back...oops, I did that. Today was my first day back in the shed for 3 days...same result.

Regards,

saxmanfromparadise
[email protected]
This is quite an old thread but it's worth reviewing. I practiced with Aebersold tracks years ago. The piano comping is often overplayed and does much to distract and fatigue the soloist. If I remember correctly, the rhythm section is recorded in one track and the piano is recorded in the other. Turn off the piano track if you find it distracting and practice with just that.

My regimen was similar years ago. It can be quite fatiguing after awhile but scheduling days off will help a lot, especially if you record your practices with the backing tracks. Revisiting your recording your recorded practices help and giving the recordings time to gel in your subconscious will help a lot. One tends to be more critical of his most recent recordings. A few days off will make a difference in your frame of mind.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,893 Posts
well it is a very good thing to bring back old threads but saxmainparadise ( I hope not literally ) won’t be able to benefit from your advise since he hasn’t been seen since 2008

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,328 Posts
well it is a very good thing to bring back old threads but saxmainparadise ( I hope not literally ) won't be able to benefit from your advise since he hasn't been seen since 2008
Still on break I guess. ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I get bored very quickly playing with backing tracks. Totally predictable and unexciting, none of the spontaneity of playing with real live musicians. It sounds like you have already put in a lot of work on this solo trip, maybe it’s time for a change of scenery? Maybe try and find another project in another genre or just take a break from standards for a while. Sometimes after an extended break you can come back with a fresh perspective. (Just saw this thread is ancient!) 😂

21 - 30 of 30 Posts