Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
This is common, I think. I practice with my own backing tracks, and after a short while I get really tired of hearing my own accompaniments. It was worse when I was using Aebersolds and worse still when the tracks were band-in-a-box.

My treatment for burnout is to have enough tunes to give myself some variety. When necessary, I make more tracks.

It also helps to spend a day practicing other things. Scales, licks, long tones.

And to take a couple days off every week and do things you enjoy that are not related to music.

And to spend a day practicing something that you think is completely impossible. Such as Cherokee in different keys at about 280.

You are probably happy with the tracks you bought, but in case you haven't found these, here are some free ones that might provide some variety to your practicing.

http://www.playalongstudio.com

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
saxmaninparadise said:
Your singing to the choir with your statement. I agree, at first the backing tracks can become rather monotnous. Hard to get that band member "damn, we're really blazin face" when no one's there but a PA system.
This is very true. On the other hand, with my tracks I can practice tunes any time of the day or night anywhere I can carry my laptop. I don't need to wait for the weekly jam session at a local watering hole.

Also, the tracks don't come to work drunk, hit on the ladies, or play wrong changes and time. Other than for that, they are okay.

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
Razzy said:
I think a backing track could be useful for certain types of gigs (solo, private party, etc.), or when playing at holiday dinners for family and friends who just want to hear what you've been up to and don't have the ability to hear tunes in a solo like we can.
Au contraire. (Did I say that right?) I use backing tracks all the time for practice but never to perform. If no rhythm section is available or there is not room for one in the budget, I don't take the gig. (Or I take it on solo piano.) I'd rather stay home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts