Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the risk of repeating myself, what does 80 stand for in Selmer SA80 Serie II? I just finished practising and was putting the neck away when I read it and 1) wondered why I had never asked myself that question before and 2) what was the answer? By the way, I was putting the tenor in a new Hiscox case and I am very impressed by this case, strong, light, good clasps, well designed and I have no connection to the company other than being a satisfied customer.

But why did Selmer call it that? I'm guessing that even though it didn't come on the market until 1986, it may have been designed in 1980. I'm also guessing that someone here actually knows the reason.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
The Super Action 80 first appeared in 1980. That's where the name came from. The Super Action 80 Series II was just the "sequel."

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you kindly. It's obvious when it's put so clearly. Even my stupid reasoning was stupid.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,973 Posts
The reason for using the year with the model name was 'Super Action' was previously used for the transition horn between the Balanced Action and MK VI. So the new sax became the '80 Super Action'.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts