Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I get messages each week from people asking for advice on certain musical topics, both relating to saxophone specifically and music in general. I have lots of videos planned to address this (in my "Real Talk Real Tips" and "How to Not Suck at Teaching Music" series) but I figured I'd ask here to see if there were some other things YOU would like to see me make a video on! This is specifically for actual musical advice (don't worry- I have lots of Smooth Jazz videos planned :) )

Let me know what you want to see! Right now I'm in the middle of doing 25 separate new videos this month for my Christmas Tune of the Day so once that is through I'll be pumping out more new videos every week!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
As hobby / learnererer - (depends on your target audience)

There's piles - like too much - of great stuff (exercises, licks etc) out there, anyone of which could take days or weeks to absorb; on top of whatever objectives one has anyway.

There's less stuff - like your Play Slow YouTube - that provides ideas/technique that can be just added in without derailing something else.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Dave. An interesting thread. OK, I have a good subject for you. I'm a decent rock and soul player, with decent altissimo - but I just can't get multiphonics (split tones) at will. You know - the great screaming ones that Sanborn and Brecker get. Sometimes I'll get multiphonics - but not intentionally, and I can't really control these. I've seen quite a few videos, looked around the section on this site - and nothing has worked. I also believe it may very well have a lot to do with mouthpiece and perhaps a fair bit to do with neck and horn.

If you have some decent tips, techniques and knowledge - or know where to get them - I'd be very interested and grateful.

Always appreciate your contributions to SOTW.

Best,

Sonny in Toronto

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
As hobby / learnererer - (depends on your target audience)

There's piles - like too much - of great stuff (exercises, licks etc) out there, anyone of which could take days or weeks to absorb; on top of whatever objectives one has anyway.

There's less stuff - like your Play Slow YouTube - that provides ideas/technique that can be just added in without derailing something else.
For hobbyists/semi-pro's and those with limited time to practice, I would like to see advice on a minimalist routine that gives you most bang for the buck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts