Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm in the fase of chi sing. A new horn and decides on the yamaha 62... Found one, secound hand from 2008 in perfect condition recently repaded as new! Got the owner to drop the price to 1200€ (aprox. 1700 us $) is it a good buy? Here in Portugal a new yamaha 62 costs about 2000€ (About 2800$ us):blob:

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,576 Posts
I'm not a Yamaha guy, but if you dig the horn and how you sound while playing it (not just the fresh re-pad...after only 2-3 years???), they hold value well and have a great reputation. $1,100 USD less than new...only you know if that is a fair price. I would ask why it needed a full re-pad so soon, but that is just me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,828 Posts
Hi

I'm in the fase of chi sing. A new horn and decides on the yamaha 62... Found one, secound hand from 2008 in perfect condition recently repaded as new! Got the owner to drop the price to 1200€ (aprox. 1700 us $) is it a good buy? Here in Portugal a new yamaha 62 costs about 2000€ (About 2800$ us):blob:
First, you have a good horn!, as the previous poster mentioned why a repad after three years?, im not sure, but if its been done professionally then thats fine and should be to your advantage, but it may just have had the pads that possibly needed doing so either way good.
1200 euros, for a tip top model!hmm, thats ok, certainly worth that not much more though, i am a firm fan of 62s, they are one of the best models yamaha have ever made period!, like everything not everyone likes them,but for the money the quality is hard to beat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not a Yamaha guy, but if you dig the horn and how you sound while playing it (not just the fresh re-pad...after only 2-3 years???), they hold value well and have a great reputation. $1,100 USD less than new...only you know if that is a fair price. I would ask why it needed a full re-pad so soon, but that is just me.
I was wrong... No repading done. Only general "tunning".

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just went with it... Just arrived home after buying my new sax. I'm realy pleased. It is very well cared for (only minor cosmetic signs of ware). It sounds great with my Vandoren Java A45 mouthpiece... The sax hasn't been played for a couple of mouths so it will get even better! Any tips or ideas from those with a Yas 62 sax? Recomendation on mouthpieces for jazz, soul, pop, rock?

Thxs

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Just went with it... Just arrived home after buying my new sax. I'm realy pleased. It is very well cared for (only minor cosmetic signs of ware). It sounds great with my Vandoren Java A45 mouthpiece... The sax hasn't been played for a couple of mouths so it will get even better! Any tips or ideas from those with a Yas 62 sax? Recomendation on mouthpieces for jazz, soul, pop, rock?

Thxs
vandoren jumbo java,enough said.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Comming from a Evett Buffet & Crampon to a Yamaha 62 these are my first quick impressions:
- the yamaha is a way easyer horn... Realy free from top do bottom! The Buffet is more resitent... This is not worse. It all dependa on preference. Personally, after 15 years on the Buffet, is will take some time to adjust.
- the yamaha is brighter but the sound is more center and intonation is great. It's a realy nice horn...
- my main mouthpiece is a Vandoren Java A45 and usually use Vandoren zz #3 reeds... On the yamaha, because it's só easy to play, I find the need to use stronger reeds and am looking for other options out the in ter SOS mouthpieces ( as I said previously, want a good mouthpiece for jazz, funk, rock but sometjing not to bright... Love to get the soud of a TW Durga or Kali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb6GGZ8xk3U

For now... I bought a E. Rousseau metal mouthpiece... I read on another post that tehyare good and that they were developed using Yamaha horns so fingers crossed...

Thank for your feedback... Please keep giving my your opinion/feedback .

Best regards
Ricardo Ribeiro

1 - 8 of 8 Posts