1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
13,993 Posts
None of the real Martin pro horns during the desirable eras had the bell keys on the left side (either both on right side, or earlier model HCs had split bell keys). Nor did they use sheet metal guards on any of their pro horns. This looks like a Wurlitzer era Martin student horn from the late 1960's or later.

It's not a HC, Committee II or The Martin Committee/Magna etc, or even one of their better era Imperials or Medalists, so don't bother.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,480 Posts
Two different Imperial runs for Martin. The first were pro horns and have serial numbers around 100K. The second run was a student line and had serial numbers around 300K.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,240 Posts
It could be a leblanc owned martin (bought in 1971) but dont bother buying it as it is not a top quality horn and with a price of £301 so far $600'ish its too much
Dave

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,512 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
Hence the nickel keys?
no in the sixties plenty of professional models (notably the Magna) had silver-nickel keys, mind you, they are not silver-nickel-plate, they are solid. I have a The Martin or committee like this.

This particular horn doesn't look like it was ever made by Martin, sold by them, it might be, not made by them, I am afraid. Too expensive.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Well, it sold for the equivalent of just past US$800, so ebay mania strikes again...

C

·
0 Posts
LeBlanc had Yanagisawa make some stencils that were labled Martin. Is the Galaxy a Yani ?
If so, $800 for a T-5 or T-6 would be a good price. A little high if it is a T-500 or a T-4.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
The Galaxy was a Yana but the horn in the auction was one that came from Europe. It looks similar to a Dolnet and I think Martin imported them in the 60s-70s. Perhaps it was after the Leblanc buyout.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts