Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a customer come in the other day who had an OttoLink Super Tone Master 5* w/ the box. I'm not so sure its the original box (and i'll have to post pictures later today for some help).

He had a rubber two-tone Berg Larsen Ebonite, also, so I offered to trade him my Stainless Steel Berg Larsen (one of the newer varieties - RUbber not quite lined up with the rest of the mouthpiece, and I had some serious squeeking issues).

He liked it when he tried it on his Selmer Mark VII. He had alot of squeeking on it at first (like I did when I first played it).

The Berg Larsen always played severely sharp for me, and I was led to believe that I shoudl have gone for a vintage berg, or a vintage otto link (at least an older variety).

After trying his otto link, and he trying mine, we decided on a trade.

I knew the otto link was far less expensive than my berg larsen, but I hadn't been able to find an older Otto Link (it was used) out here in the part of SO Cal I live in.

Of course, I know the immediate answer is that "if its worth it to you, then its a good trade." Which to me it seems so.

But what do y'all think of the trade? Would I have fared better doing a trade with my berg on here?

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
super20dan said:
two bergs for a stuffy link?
Did you play his Link, too? :twisted:

If the Berg was always squeaking for you, then wouldn't you say it was worthless (to you)? In that case you traded something you think you can use for something you can't. Sounds reasonable to me.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Heh, nice point comment gary.

-- No, i did not trade two (2) bergs. What I stated might have seemed a little confusing. He had 1 Berg Larsen Ebonite, in a sort of tortoise shell finish.

He also had the otto link, which he said he didn't like one bit.

I had a Berg Larsen 1/110, Stainless Steel. It would squeek ALOT, especially when I played piano or pianissimo. It also wouldn't get any sound out of the altissimo register. It growled great, and that was why I liked it (And it was really bright and loud.)

So then he had the Otto Link 5*. I always heard people talk about the 7s.

I traded my SS Berg Larsen for his Otto Link 5*. I didn't feel it was stuffy at all, besides being a smaller opening.

I have a very old, vintage Evette Schaeffer, dating back to approx 1939. The 5* otto link let me growl just like my BL, but let me hit those altissimos without falling short. (I don't know how to describe the noise that was made using the Berg Larsen, other than a rottweiller on a choke chain.)

So it was one for the other.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I wouldn't take a whole box of Bergs in trade on "good" Link. But then again, kind'a nuts anyway. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts