Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My quartet plays mostly original compositions of mine. I like to write a lot of odd time signature and open form types of tunes. We have gone through a couple of piano players, but the drummer, bass player, and I have been together for a couple of years now. I would like to see what you think.

For all you dark cynical musicians out there I am leaving my self wide open for you to impress others with your ability to put people down.

www.soundclick.com/thepaulbrodtquartet

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
Hey Paul, sounds great, good ideas, nice composition, excellent solo structure.

The only thing I would say is about the recording itself. It may be my computers lousy speakers, but the sax was way up front, and put in what sounded to be a really dry acoustic--like really close miked.

edit: Just listened to part of the tune with the vocal track. The vocal is dry as well. Is this an artistic choice?

just my $.02...

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
And you've got some good chops. As well as a broad intervallic pallete to be working from. Keep it up.

·
Registered
680 Posts
paulbrodt said:
For all you dark cynical musicians out there I am leaving my self wide open for you to impress others with your ability to put people down.
Isn't that a put down as well?

Is it a joke, or asking for opinions from people he has just insulted? Interesting approach considering the other thread. Mmmm tasty tasty overtones.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,305 Posts
I loved your theory test thread.;)

I really like your rhythmic approach in your solos. Big sound, interesting harmonic ideas, intense intervals.

I can tell your a "searcher..."

Nice work

·
Registered
197 Posts
Mr B. reminds me of Joshua Redman's ELASTIC cd, first or second tune. Rhythmically and harmonically it is completely the same.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Mr B. reminds me of Joshua Redman's ELASTIC cd, first or second tune. Rhythmically and harmonically it is completely the same"

Wow, I am impressed. When I bought that album I wrote that tune like the very next day. There is a fine line between Inspiration, emulation, and imitation.

I appreciate all of the comments even pgraves.
It was not an insult. From my experience from the other thread I know there are people in this forum who would rather point out a spelling error on my website rather than give a thought out criticsm about my music.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"The only thing I would say is about the recording itself. It may be my computers lousy speakers, but the sax was way up front, and put in what sounded to be a really dry acoustic--like really close miked"

I recorded most of the tunes with a MOTU audio converter using cakewalk. I used a shure 57 on my alto. I only had one large dipghragm mic and I used it on the bass. I know next to nothing about recording but I enjoy trying to figure it. I would like to take the tracks to a professional and let them mix it. Or just rerocord everything at a good studio. It's not just your speakers, the recording was done by an ammature.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
paulbrodt said:
"The only thing I would say is about the recording itself. It may be my computers lousy speakers, but the sax was way up front, and put in what sounded to be a really dry acoustic--like really close miked"

I recorded most of the tunes with a MOTU audio converter using cakewalk. I used a shure 57 on my alto. I only had one large dipghragm mic and I used it on the bass. I know next to nothing about recording but I enjoy trying to figure it. I would like to take the tracks to a professional and let them mix it. Or just rerocord everything at a good studio. It's not just your speakers, the recording was done by an ammature.
Well, then, it's a good start. You have the raw materials, I think you're ready to do it up nice!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nice man.

I would say though that maybe you try and get away from what's "correct" and play more of what you "hear", harmonically. Your ideas are fantastic, and you play with a lot of soul and fire (which is SO important and SO underrated).

I don't know if you're already doing this, and this isn't a criticism as much as a suggestion of another direction to explore. Look into just, from time to time, saying "**** the harmony" and playing what you hear in your head, even if it's the most "out there" sound you can think of - and even if, in a theory sense, it makes no sense at all.

But sounding good.

-Dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts